Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of humour.

On Monday, 12.28, my Ford Escape met a combination of a small deer, some ice and a 15" pine tree. Needless to say, I got pretty lucky in that I wasn't hurt and nobody was on the road at the godforsaken hour at which I have to drive to work. On top of that, the Escape has been nothing but a hassle for the last few years, always falling apart at the seams.

Anyways, after a couple days of driving every car out there (or so it seems), I am pretty confident that I will be ordering a Forester xt premium from a local dealer. Now comes the catch...I know so little about subarus and what sucks/doesn't suck about them, so I was hoping to get the help of the more experianced out there.

The things that I know I want/need; TURBO, cold weather package...then I get a bit foggy. I already have a GPS, and would like good soundsystem. I've heard that subie stereos leave much to be desired, but am most likely wrong. I do tow a motorcycle trailer with a bike, pair of motor scooters or building materials on it, so I need the tow package. Above all, I am trying to keep it on the low end of 25k. Is this possible? What would you all suggest?

Signed,
a soon to be happy FXT driver

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT Premium 4EAT
229 Posts
First, welcome! Next, the reality is that you aren't going to get a 2010 XT for anywhere near 25k.
The only reservation about owning a Subaru that I can think of is that the tires need to be the same diameter. In other words, if you get a flat with 30,000 miles on your tires, theoretically, you would need to replace all four tires so that they would be the same size. Or find a used tire with close to the same mileage/wear.
I love my Forester. I drove it in the snow for the first time about ten days ago... I was grinning from ear to ear.
David

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,876 Posts
It sounds like you've already decided on an '10XT. Excellent choice! :cool:

If you're into MODding, there are tons of aftermarket MODding parts available thru the '08 model year, one of the reasons I choose an earlier model. With the design change in '09, it will take awhile for aftermarket parts to become available for the newer models, but they will come. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
What would you all suggest?
If I were buying?

A sun roof! If you like fresh air from above, this is a must-have.

A rear spoiler! Works well at keeping the rear window clear of road grime.

Leather! While the cloth seats are good; leather just feels better and is easier to clean as well.

An Auto-start! You live in the NE. You know how cold it can get. Why freeze!

That's all I can think of at the moment. Enjoy your Forester, you're going to love it.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I'd skip the built in navigation, no one seems to be very happy with them. The one small option that I really couldn't live without is the rubber cargo area mat.

·
Registered
1997 Outback
15 Posts
You might want to check this thread before you buy a turbo Forester. There have been a lot of problems with this engine. I don't know whether they have been fixed for 2010 or not.

Google "Subaru issues turbo STOP SALE on certain 08-09 models."

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
125 Posts
Get the sunroof and the All-weather package. That is all you need. The other things like the cargo mat, remote start, etc. can be added later. Notable additions that I really like are the tweeter kit, subwoofer, puddle lights, trunk cargo mat, All-weather floormats from weathertech.com, and the footwell lighting is interesting.

Probably try the autoarmor mudflaps instead of the subaru ones. Hmm, above all the sunroof is awesome.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Ltd
46 Posts
Under 25k for what you want is probably not realistic. If you go to Truecar.com, you can option out exactly what you want and see sticker, invoice, and the range of actual prices paid in your area. If you go aftermarket on the tow hitch and stereo upgrade, then you might come pretty close (before you add those costs back on).

When I bought mine, I also found out what the AAA and Costco discounts were (worked out to about 91% of sticker for my '09 XT LTD). Then I went to my local dealer with that information and got them to match the discount for a car optioned exactly the way I wanted it.

In any event, good luck. The XT is a lot more fun to drive than the Escape, or almost any other SUV that's even remotely practical.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
I'd try to find an '09 if you want to keep the price down, especially if you plan to keep it a long while (5 years) so that instant extra year of depreciation isn't a big hit at resale. AWP (cold weather) and telescoping steering wheel are the only two things I'd really want. Sadly, the t-wheel shows up only in a couple packages - the expensive ones - though that's moot if the normal position works fine for you.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT Touring
943 Posts
Toxic Oreo,
I know that a lot of people have responded to you on the cost and after the purchase of the car, I would recommend look at some of the vendors on here are a more practical way of buying accessories that are DIY, instead of paying the dealer msrp + labor to do(ie. bump cover, all weather floor mats, cargo tray, nets, etc...).
With that said, I bought a 2010XT Ltd, did the DIY stuff myself but had the dealer do the body molding, puddle lights and interior illumination as part of the deal of the first car we agreed on. I really felt that those 3 items really completed my car.
The one item that was I surprised was the sun roof is not tinted in anyway, just clear glass.
The stereo, as all have said, is much more to be desired for....I will probably put in an amp and redo all my doors then go from there.

Dave

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,525 Posts
Here's what you asked for in the title of your thread.

Just wanted to let you know we have fun here too, and the FOZ is big enough that you really don't need this.........Welcome aboard!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts