Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester XT
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered some blue universal mud flaps and they don't come with hardware or pre-drilled holes.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount these on. Like what's the best way to line up the current holes available to drill into the flaps? And can I just reuse the same screws/hardware already in there? The higher spot seems to line up with a body trim plastic push thing. Not sure if I can also use that spot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester XT
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just out of curiosity, how much money was the difference from a brand name to the universal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I paid like $12 for the whole set of 4. Can't beat that, and I only wanted blue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did mine with a universal mat.

1.) Find some large pieces cardboard that you will use as a template. I used an old pizza box
2.) Take off your wheels and put your car up on a jack so you can get inside the wheel well and find where you need to cut and trim the cardboard better with a sharpie or pen.
3.) Draw the entire universal template onto the cardboard and cut it out.
4.) Once you line up the flap where you like it, you can reuse the same hardware and mount the cardboard. Just punch a hole with a pen and line up the plastic rivets. Make sure they line up straight on your car! I screwed up once and had to make my holes larger.
5. ) Take a pen and make some guide lines where you want to trim the flap down with some shears or dremmel to fit inside the wheel well better. (I used the Rally Armor website to get an idea of what their flaps looked like which helped a lot. I found the rear to be way harder than the fronts. I made a makeshift metal mount because the flap wont reach the 5th rivet and needs to be extended out to reach. I used some black zip ties to reach this hole)
6.) Make sure you flip the reverse image of the flap AFTER you are certain the 1 fits. Measure 5 times and cut once :)

If all else fails, you only spent $12 abd can try it again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts