Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've discovered that my car makes a rattling sound when going over sharp bumps (like highway lane lines) at high speed (above 60mph). At lower speeds, the suspension will sound normal.

Now, this rattling sound is not a dull rattling but it sounds like a washer rattling somewhere (like small coins in your pocket).

I've looked at the endlinks, the swaybar mounts, swaybar mounts, and every other suspension bolt I can think of, but I can't find anything loose.

Tophat bolts (not the weak 14ft/lb ones, but the center one that holds the tophat to the strut body) have been retightened to 55ft/lbs and 44ft/lbs.

What else can you guys think of? This sound wasn't here before.. seems like something has come loose after a while. I did have a new 4EAT swapped in recently but I don't think that's it since the sound would probably be deadened by the usual transmission sounds and engine sounds.

I can hear this sound with the windows closed... actually I can probably hear it better with the windows closed now I that I think of it.

May not even be a suspension noise, but that's just my best guess.

Any ideas appreciated!

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
I get this occasionally, but it almost always turns out to be my lug nut key in the center console or some stuff (like spare lugnuts or tools) rattling in the storage cubbies under the cargo floor. Are you sure it's coming from the suspension?

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,659 Posts
where is it coming from...front, rear, inside or outside? I get an occasional one from the rear seat..maybe there is too much play in the latch when the seat is upright, but even with the stiff suspension and sound deadening, my car is fairly quiet..besides the fsb that creaks like a sob. I will be replacing that soon...

When you come over and help me with my light/led retrofit, we can drive around and try to pinpoint the mystery noise...:shrug:

·
Registered
2013 XT
1,691 Posts
My rear strut tie bar was making a rattling noise over small bumps. Took me for ever to find that one. Just had to tighten up the locking/adjusting bolt. The other thing that rattled in the back was my rear door latch.

·
Registered
2001 forester s/tb STI
3 Posts
i dont know if this helps but my forester(s/tb sti) also makes the rattle noise you describe and i was able to trace it to the tailgate lock. I am told that these tail gate doors are about 70 kilos and for some reason they start to move in their lock area after a while and make that rattling noise.. When you say that the noise is more clear with the windows shut, i am lead to believe that it could be the tailgate. Just check it to make sure.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,325 Posts
I too have an annoying rattle/squeak coming from the rear driver's side. Started happening as the weather got cooler. I have looked everywhere in the interior. This weekend I'll look under the car. But, I'm pretty sure the sound is coming from the inside.

It sounds like the cargo cover swinging in the released position. But I took the cargo cover out and I still get the sound.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm thanks for the ideas folks. I'm still looking for it.

I don't think it's misc stuff rattling around as the sound is still there when I empty my car of everything. Maybe I missed something though.

I THINK it's the rear inside passenger side. It's hard to localize but it seems to happen the most when that portion of my suspension hits the aforementioned type of surface.

I will check my tailgate lock. I had adjusted it about 3-4 weeks ago. It wasn't loose when I checked it yesterday, but maybe there's a piece floating around in the tailgate.

JE, I still need to finish that list for you!! There's just not enough time at home.. But we can definitely toss you in the back (wear a hard hat)! :D

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
This probably isn't it, but when I fixed the bracket that holds the sunroof in the passenger rear side, I noticed that the nuts that came down from the roof (that I presume hold the cross bar tracks on) were loose. I saw two and tightened them just 'cause... but that's probably not the problem :)

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm sadly I don't have a sunroof. I still want a non-opening panoramic glass though :)

·
Registered
2013 XT
1,691 Posts
I will check my tailgate lock. I had adjusted it about 3-4 weeks ago. It wasn't loose when I checked it yesterday, but maybe there's a piece floating around in the tailgate.
:D
Wrap some electrical tape around the latch part, it will make it tighter and quiet the rattle if that is the rattle..

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ah interesting idea. though i might try a more durable tape as i think electrical tape would tear quite easily.

·
Registered
2013 WRX Limited Manual
563 Posts

I don't think it's misc stuff rattling around as the sound is still there when I empty my car of everything. Maybe I missed something though.

I THINK it's the rear inside passenger side. It's hard to localize but it seems to happen the most when that portion of my suspension hits the aforementioned type of surface.

JE, I still need to finish that list for you!! There's just not enough time at home.. But we can definitely toss you in the back (wear a hard hat)! :D

I have this same problem. Drives me crazy. I took apart the entire rear gate and put insulation material around where the plastic trim pieces contact the metal. It is better, but the sound is still present. ... :mob:

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,212 Posts
The rear seat striker is one source of rattles. Fold the seat backs down to isolate it. Use tape or whatever to create a tighter fit.

I also use to have a loud rattle over harsh bumps and I chalked it up to the whole "box" in the back flexing out of shape and the hatch was rattling around in it. That's my theory at least. I tried to adjust the striker to where it would just latch but no dice...

·
Registered
2013 WRX Limited Manual
563 Posts

Neoshi-

I took apart my tailgate (twice this weekend) and put black tape all over everything. Tonight I came home and noticed the passenger side tailgate shock is loose, which could rattle when compressed. Take a look at yours and see if you have the same problem.

·
Registered
2002 Forester S
1 Posts
Found the squeaking/rattling in my car..

Hey, thanks for the ideas everybody has posted, it took me a bit of toying with things to figure it out, but I found there were two problems with our 2002 Forester S:

1: The door latch itself is loose. Apparently, it wears out over time, which is a rather common problem with a lot of cars... Depends mainly on how often they get open/closed though. Well, the short end of it is that since I couldn't quite figure out how to get the plastic panel off, and thereby can't replace the latch mechanism or mechanically tighten anything, the quick and simple fix was to put some tape around the latch loop on the floor, and problem solved.. at least until the tape wears off, but hey.. I can handle adding another layer or two when it starts to squeak again..

2: After finding/solving the squeak, the rattle was still there, so I had someone drive through the neighborhoods while sitting in the back (don't recommend that for a lot of reasons... Mainly because it made me sick after about 10 minutes of it..) Just pressing on different pieces/parts seeing what made the rattle go away. Turns out it is the main plastic piece, the previosuly mentioned one that I couldn't figure out how to get off.. How weird, that one side has to move one way, while the other side goes the opposite way? Anyway, playing with it for a bit I discovered that there are 3 plastic clips with an insert, that run along the very bottom of the door, to the left of the pull-down handle. I placed a couple pieces of tape in between the metal and plastic, poked small holes in the tape with a screwdriver, put the black pieces carefully in (they really don't look all that sturdy) and finally put the inserts back into them. Drove around, ultimately have drive about 120 miles since then, and absolutely no squeak/rattling now..

So, seems to be that there's quite a few things in these cars that can squeak/rattle when they get old.. Been a good car otherwise though.. Hope this maybe can help someone else solve their problem a little easier..

·
Registered
2007 FXT 4eat
260 Posts
So I've discovered that my car makes a rattling sound when going over sharp bumps (like highway lane lines) at high speed (above 60mph). At lower speeds, the suspension will sound normal.

Now, this rattling sound is not a dull rattling but it sounds like a washer rattling somewhere (like small coins in your pocket).

I've looked at the endlinks, the swaybar mounts, swaybar mounts, and every other suspension bolt I can think of, but I can't find anything loose.

Tophat bolts (not the weak 14ft/lb ones, but the center one that holds the tophat to the strut body) have been retightened to 55ft/lbs and 44ft/lbs.

What else can you guys think of? This sound wasn't here before.. seems like something has come loose after a while. I did have a new 4EAT swapped in recently but I don't think that's it since the sound would probably be deadened by the usual transmission sounds and engine sounds.

I can hear this sound with the windows closed... actually I can probably hear it better with the windows closed now I that I think of it.

May not even be a suspension noise, but that's just my best guess.

Any ideas appreciated!
let me update this guys.
im also having this problem on my 07 FXT 4eat

SAME:
1. rattling is only audible if running 60+km/h
2. there is no rattling at lower speed.
3. it sounds like a loose coin/washer.
4. sound is coming from the rear right of my car.

it happened 2days after i installed my swift springs, i already checked all the suspensions at the rear and tightened all necessary nuts but the rattling noise is still present.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts