Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently at a Subaru dealer, trying to get a key coded.

They have been unable to do it, as they need an additional code which they don't have.

Can anyone who has had this done give any insight?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Seems the code is available only from Japan, so I'm in the laps of the Gods now as to whether Subaru UK can get hold of the code from Japan.

This is a right ballache.

·
Registered
05 forester sti manual
56 Posts
Hi mate, this could be interesting I've just lost one of my key's :icon_redface: and I need a new one what sort of money are Subaru looking at if it can be done?

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The blank key was £53, the cutting was £8 and it is about half an hour of labour, so depends on your local dealer.

IM have been contacted to provide the code as they can get in touch with Subaru Japan. This has, apparently been successful before.

Who remapped your car? Was it an ECUtek job? If so, they should be able to do it for you I believe, so no need for a dealer. This is something I may have to consider if this doesn't work!

Bear in mind, you will probably have an aftermarket alarm and immobiliser, so will need spares for that too.

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,591 Posts
Gareth, what do you mean by coding a key?

Have you lost the second key or want to make a 3rd one?

The keys have a transponder inside that AFAIK matches the one behind the ignition barrel I guess

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only have one key, so trying to get a second sorted.

It is coding the transponder that is causing the issue. There should be a code with the key. I don't have it though... perils of JDM unfortunately.

·
Registered
2018 Not saying.lol forwards and backwards
1,223 Posts
They can get it if they try, the guy in dingles in Norwich was going to get one for my fsti as I only had one functioning key, but it came at a cost!!, in the end I got another cut at a local shop and they (the shop) coded it for me for £45 inc the key.

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was yours a 55 plate Dan?

That seems to be the cut off for needing this five digit code.

I spoke to NDS and his didn't need it as far as he was aware. I then spoke to the dealer that did his and they confirmed no code was required. I'm now wondering if that might be because he had an ECUTEK remap.

However, seems 2006 - 2008 were the problem years. Yours was an opensource remap wasn't it? Maybe that hack also removes the need for the code.

How did the key place do the transponder?

·
Registered
2004 FSTi Manual
73 Posts
Just about to start looking into this myself as part of safeguarding the FSTi after my pre-Xmas fun. So would a 2004 model get away without needing this magic code Gareth?

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe so.

In addition, you have the Ecutek software as JGM mapped the car when Alan had it. That should mean you can get keys coded that way in any event.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts