Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5 XTE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

First post here - apologies in advance for any etiquette mistakes!

tl:dr: how can I replace the Sigma alarm box - do I need a whole new alarm, immobiliser etc; just the box, or what?

Longer version:
My 2005 Forester XTEN recently developed a fault so that when you arm the alarm, the left hand indicator lights stay on, draining the battery.

I found in a post on YK Legacy Forums that this can be linked to the Sigma m30 alarm relay installed on UK Foresters in the box in the glove compartment - and by unscrewing the cage, yup, a gentle tap on the box and the lights go out and all is fine.

The other post described how he got an electrician to replace the relay - I don't have one of those friends, so am wondering what the options are. Are the Sigma m30 relax boxes standard or linked to the car / immobiliser / key? I've seen a few on ebay and wonder if I can just switch them out?

Any advice?

Thanks all...

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,832 Posts
The UK fitted Sigma M30 alarm/immobiliser is in addition to the OEM immobiliser and for the SG Forester and newer Imprezas/Legacys has the operating fob incorporated into the one button keys' pcb .

As you've rightly said, with age the two relays that control the indicator circuits can stick, causing one side or other to stay on.

Changing the alarm ecu, without a visit to a Toad/Sigma/Scorpion alarm installer, you would need to know its current pin code and/or have a working key already coded to it.
You would also be looking at the same problem arising again as they are all getting old. (M30 alarm in use from 1999 to 2007)

If you don't have a copy of the operating manual it can be downloaded from one of the pages linked in the link below

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / ElectricalSystem

AFAIK Subaru UK now have an upgrade path to the newer/current Sigma S30
alarm. you would need to enquire at you local UK dealer to find out the details.

https://www.scorpionauto.com/car-thatcham-alarm-immobiliser-sigma-s30/

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5 XTE
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you so much for this helpful response.

So, it seems I have two options - replace or upgrade. I wonder if there is a third - eliminate?

To replace it, if I have working key that unlocks remotely (I do) then how would I go about replacing the ECU?

To upgrade, I follow up directly with a dealer, as you suggest.

Is elimination - removal of the alarm, possible? And if so, are there instructions to follow?

Thanks so much!

Best
Emrys

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,832 Posts
Thank you so much for this helpful response.

So, it seems I have two options - replace or upgrade. I wonder if there is a third - eliminate?

To replace it, if I have working key that unlocks remotely (I do) then how would I go about replacing the ECU?

To upgrade, I follow up directly with a dealer, as you suggest.

Is elimination - removal of the alarm, possible? And if so, are there instructions to follow?

Thanks so much!

Best
Emrys
The working key or pin code I referred to would be for the replacement unit not the current one.If you just buy a replacement alarm ECU it would need to be reset by a Toad/Sigma/Scorpion alarm fitter.

AFAIK with introduction of the single button key the wiring for the alarm system was integrated into the loom in Japan which makes it far more difficult to remove than being an aftermarket fit.

I did find this link

https://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/17892-sigma-m30-alarm-immobiliser-indicator-stuck-on/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts