Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Im total noob and well, the title says it all, you know those plastic things above the doors? what are they sun visors or something? Well, I dont like em, so, can I take em off? Will it be easy? Will it leave glue marks all over the paint? Are they on all foresters?

Sorry for the list of questions :p Im a car noob,

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
hhhhm, no model info, no location, no basic knowledge of basic parts, no pictures, hhhm

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,846 Posts
I see this is your first post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Pictures would be nice, but you're required to have 15 posts to link to a host (to prevent spamming), but you can attach pictures (thumbnails) now. :frown:

If it's an add on visor, yes it can be removed. They're usually just stuck on with double sided tape. Heating it with a hair dryer should soften the adhesive so it can be pulled off. Any adhesive residue can be cleaned off with a mild solvent like Ronsonal lighter fluid, WD40, Goof Off, or plain old car cleaner. Of course not knowing how its attached (need pictures), I'm just throwing out a possible solution. :wink:

I agree with good dog. Some vehicle information would be very helpful! :smile:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT
658 Posts
They sound like they are the rain guards, probably by Weathertech. (Unlikely to be the optional JDM ones, they cost a fortune.) Start just ahead of the mirros and end just behind the rear door top?

Unless they are cracked and nasty, I'd seriously reconsider taking them off - I paid $125 for my set and they help in a few ways; the windows have no frame, so when snow covers the top of the glass it will fall straight onto your seat when the door gets opened. The guard stops this.

In wet weather, it lets you crack the window an inch or two, without the rain from the windshield coming around the A pillar and onto your leg.

In hot weather it lets you exhaust air out the windows without so much wind turbulence.

When I park in the sun, I can leave all the windows down two inches, and nobody notices.

....but you can easily pull 'em off if you like - choose a warm day or use a heat gun to soften the glue so it doesn't pull chunks of paint off, then clean up with WD40 or similar.

Except now, every time the water spins off that A pillar onto your lap, you'll remember this, and curse me!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ 2.5x Sleeper - Thanks bro, that really helps heaps and that is how they are held on so the heat and lighter fluid would do it i recon.

@StealthTL - Thats the ones! Good advice on the rethinking it, with those points pointed out I can figure out if i really want to do it. As for snow it doesnt snow here -sadface- (intentionally not a emote) so that's not a problem, but these other things you said are real useful so thanks for that. And i think ill go with the WD 40 as its less flammable.

and @ Officer idiot good dog - no thanks to you at all, why flame a new user? when its clearly all ready scary enough trying to post for the first time on a new forum, infact I even checked out the other posts to see what to say. BUT thanks to these GOOD users (stealth and sleeper) I have figured out what to do with my wagon, thanks again lads.

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,885 Posts
and @ Officer idiot good dog - no thanks to you at all, why flame a new user? when its clearly all ready scary enough trying to post for the first time on a new forum, infact I even checked out the other posts to see what to say. BUT thanks to these GOOD users (stealth and sleeper) I have figured out what to do with my wagon, thanks again lads.
Why the name calling? If you consider that flaming... then I guess you should be scared to post anything at all.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
4,595 Posts
I don't think he was flaming you at all, and your response definitely wasn't warranted. There are fields in your profile that are there for your benefit if you fill them out. You had a question, and if you fill those out, it makes it easier to help you.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
35,846 Posts
I remember how scary it was to make my first post here on the forum. :icon_eek:

Sounds like there might be a misunderstanding here! :confused: What was a reasonable request for additional information may have been perceived as "flaming" by the new member. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls!
Glad to see you found the information you're looking for... but for future reference, putting your Forester model year and trim level would be helpful as well as noting your location in your profile please. Sorry you feel as though you were flamed, but with all the new members we get the lack of information they give us sometimes can be annoying.

Best of luck in the future!

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
in the spirit of the non-idiot good dog, can you please entertain us by telling us what model you have so we can figure out for you if this is a pricey rare item you are removing or not?

i do think you owe good dog an apology though... :\ he was just hinting, though yeah, it could have been more of a question with please on one end I suppose.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,224 Posts
Welcome!

AFAIK, Weathertech didn't make any rain visors for any year model forester so they would either be JDM (most likely), custom made ones (not likely), or someone put on some that were for another vehicle (not for the forester).

...and unless they were an eyesore (cracked/faded/etc), I would keep them on the car for the benefits of them...but of course pics and more info would be nice so that we could be of more help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts