Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT (CDN)
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: got it started like 2 hours later, I'm such a worry wart.

Original post:
So yesterday I installed my new Kenwood head unit. I used the wiring harness from Crutchfield, wired it all proper, solder/heatshrink, etc. It worked great.

Woke up today, it still worked great, and the car started fine. Went out with it all day.

Tonight, I took off the driver door panel installed my new Polk db651 door speaker. The install went fine....

But the whole time (roughly 2 hours) I was out there, I had the keys in on position, and the music playing. Now the car wont start.

I first noticed the music cut in/out when I was rolling the window up/down checking for cable clearance. The window would hit the top, and the music would cut out. Then the window started going all slow-like. I tried to start the car and it just went "click click click...."

So my questions: How long can you have music playing and keys in on position before killing the battery? Do you think it is the battery? Do I need to buy a new battery?

I'm 100% that the wiring harness for the HU was done properly. Every wire on the Subaru harness was matched to the corresponding function/color of the Kenwood one. So I don't think it is the HU killing the battery somehow.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT (CDN)
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sure hope that's all it is. I don't need the wife to be able to say "I told you so" or something. She doesn't trust me to do anything, ha. And if it costs me money to fix it, I'll never hear the end of it. :icon_rolleyes:

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
LOL. I've done that many times just washing my car and listening to music. It is possible that your battery may be a bit old and might not hold as much of a charge as when it was new, but I'm sure you just ran it low.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I sure hope that's all it is. I don't need the wife to be able to say "I told you so" or something. She doesn't trust me to do anything, ha. And if it costs me money to fix it, I'll never hear the end of it. :icon_rolleyes:
LOL! That's why you don't brag with overconfidence to your spouse about something until you're in the clear about it! :raspberry:

·
Registered
06 Forester
388 Posts
drained my batt after testing the rear defroster twice. the stock battery drains off really quickly and most likely have a very low RC (reserve capacity) rating. :shake:

i've heard a lot of good things and read a fair amount of positive reviews about the local battery brand that walmart carries. might give that a go if they have one with high CCA and RC ratings that'll fit properly.

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT (CDN)
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got it started :icon_razz:

I just waited a couple of hours and then tried it again, it didn't want to, but it turned over. Then I let it run while I slapped the door panel on, then drove it around for 15 minutes all gangsta-like at 2 am.

I got all worried over nothing.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
^Good for you :biggrin:

You do know those 15 min driving is around enough to get your car started a couple of more times maybe. You should drive a bit more if your battery is down on power.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,824 Posts
I got it started :icon_razz:

I just waited a couple of hours and then tried it again, it didn't want to, but it turned over. Then I let it run while I slapped the door panel on, then drove it around for 15 minutes all gangsta-like at 2 am.

I got all worried over nothing.
Nothing beats disconnecting the battery and putting it on a low amp charger to bring the battery up to a more sufficient charge. If the battery is the culprit, driving it will only bring the charge up slightly, you will have all the power sources in your car drawing regardless. Get the battery tested or charge it or replace it, if need be.
Like the others said if you do need to replace it get one with a higher reserve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts