Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure if this is the right place to post this... but

I have a 2005 Forester as a daily driver & today the CEL came on. Only thing I did was go in some mud on the way to my friends house & did get the RPMs pretty high. Was close to red line on one shift,but It drove fine for a bit & then later on I noticed the CEL come on & some weird noises from the turbo kinda sounded like ,but not sure. Either way I figured Id ask here cause I hoped someone with more knowledge or has got this code before could give me more insight into ways of fixing. Thanks a lot for your time in advance. I am due for a oil change so I plan on doing that tomorrow. -Travis

Went & got the code pulled & the def. is
Camshaft Position A- Timing over advance or performance (Bank1)
1.Probable cause:
2.Low or dirty motor oil
3.Blocked oil passage
4.Timing belt misalignment
5.Failed AVCS solenoid

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
I got this code on Tuesday, the day that my turbo failed. :(

It's going in the shop tomorrow to get a new turbo, and '07 sti cat less up pipe. Along w/ the 105k mile service. I'll let you know if that code leads to anything else besides the fubar'd turbo.

·
Registered
2006 wrx
49 Posts
I got this code on Tuesday, the day that my turbo failed. :(

It's going in the shop tomorrow to get a new turbo, and '07 sti cat less up pipe. Along w/ the 105k mile service. I'll let you know if that code leads to anything else besides the fubar'd turbo.

I agree and would pull your downpipe before changing the oil. Have you checked your oil level lately? Oil controls the AVCS solenoids and could affect timing if there was a lack of oil. I've seen two in the shop just this past week with the same code. One of them came back a day later billowing whiteish grey smoke and was a quart low a day after the oil was changed. Both have turbos on the way. Both billowed white/grey oily smelling smoke at times and had oil leaking from the seals when the downpipe was pulled. Burning oil is generally blue but seems to billow white/grey after passing through the cats. The turbo noises I heard were most likely excessive play in the turbo shaft. I could wiggle the hot side impeller wheel in any direction and touch the housing.
I would agree with blackonblack and say that your turbo is most likely shot, or on it's way out. Not a major deal as lightly used TD04's are easy to find and thus cheap. May even be a good time/sign to think about upgrading.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ well that sounds like somewhat of a relief as in my whole engine is not fubared. Cause it seems to run fine at low RPMs & sometimes seems to run normal threw the RPMs & then I get a weird turbo noise sounds very odd like its losing boost. I just rolled over 40,000 miles today. So to be best I shouldn't drive it at all till I get it fixed? It did seem to idle a lil rough at times..so maybe the timing is off. I think I got about 3,500 miles on this last oil change. I'm glad I dont have to work tomorrow due to MLK day.. maybe I can get it fixed :puke: Ive been drinking as to drown my sorrows about my car.

·
Registered
2005 FXT
1 Posts
I got this code aswell on my 05 fxt. I figuered it was either BC 272 cams or the highflow Cosworth oilpump. I just removed the code with ecuflash. I would be inerested to see what others have found out.

·
Registered
2004 X
43 Posts
Any follow-ups?? I just recently had my CEL come on, and I got a code saying the exact same thing (I have a 04' XT). The turbo doesn't seem to want to engage anymore, and I hear a weird slipping/groaning noise when I exceed 2.5-3 RPMS.. I don't know if it is the turbo, or the engine timing belt. :(

·
Registered
2004 forester xt 6mt
25 Posts
+1 check your turbo
I had the same code in my 04fxt going on for a few weeks. Turned out my turbo was throwing oil into the intake. Funny thing is that my car had gone into limp mode because of the CEL. So I started trying to get the turbo going through ECU resets...bad Idea....went from turbo that needed to be replaced, to a turbo that was BLOWN.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
99 Posts
I'm not sure if this will help but I had the same code and had some I
Improvement after removing the external banjo oil filters for the avcs. Still ended up having to replace the turbo later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts