Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have attempted to rebuild my 2000 forester by replacing the head gasket.

I get everything back together and the car cranks but will not start.

I get this strange buzzing from what I believe is the fuel pump/regulator on the passenger side. Seems like it is the "pressurize fuel system" when you turn the key -- but it never goes off, while key is on.

I know this is the something in the fuel system, because if I pull the fuel pump fuze the sound instantly stops.

I have tried changing the relay with the other one (ingition?) next to it.

Is there something just unhooked? I've rolled through there a bazillion times. Looking at the tech manual for fuel system, really complicated. Lots of "check for voltage at xxx" without more specific instructions.

This job was about 5x more complicated than anything I've ever attempted. I found lots of posts here and videos and am pretty sure I did it right.

How should I proceed? Any ideas, even ramblings, would be MUCH appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Forester xt prem Cvt
161 Posts
can you pull your fuel line and feed it into an empty water bottle? if it pumps, then thats not the issue. its then to the ignition or injectors. pull out aplug or its pack and see if it sparks. if it sparks, not the ignition. idk how to check the injectors... oh, make sure that you haven't flooded the engine. that can cause the engine to not start. if its flooded, you'll have to pull you ignition relay/fuse, and crank the car to push as much of the fuel out.

I've never done any of the above on a subaru, but ive done it many times on nissan motors.

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5MT
856 Posts
How long did you crank it for? Despite priming the system before hand, it took a lot of cranks to finally get our Forester to start after its headgasket repair.

·
Registered
2000 Forester auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
well, took a closer look at everythign today. Fairly certain buzzing is coming from STARTER. It will crank, but no spark that I can see when I put spark plug against ground and crank ...

Borrowed compression tester from auto zone. No problem.

I tried to test coil with meter -- I'm measuring NO resistance across leads 1/2 2/4 (primary resistance on haynes manual). Might be my crappy meter technique?

Also, I smell fuel, so I don't think fuel is the problem.

got a code reader thingee from friend with phone app. Only thing it shows is p0122 - throttle pedal position sensor/switch low input.

·
Registered
1999 SF5 GT auo
9 Posts
my foz does the same thing with the buzz under the passenger side. (is yours auto?) <-- just seen yours is auto. I think the buzz is a solenoid?

I don't think its the fuel pump. you can hear the fuel pump inside the car when you put the reds on.

I would say check wiring and fuses. most likely something simple like a plug off somewhere.

·
Registered
2000 Forester auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my foz does the same thing with the buzz under the passenger side. (is yours auto?) <-- just seen yours is auto. I think the buzz is a solenoid?

I don't think its the fuel pump. you can hear the fuel pump inside the car when you put the reds on.

I would say check wiring and fuses. most likely something simple like a plug off somewhere.
Hmmm, maybe done it for a while. I haven't driven it much last two years , my son has.

I definitely have no voltage on the pin that is supposed to have 10 volts coming into the ignition coil, so just have to figure out what is off .

·
Registered
2000 Forester auto
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so,, pretty sure I need a new harness (the one that hooks to the manifold).

any ideas? trying to even find the damn part number.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts