Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Forester
263 Posts
Those new GM Buicks and Cadillacs have "steam" jets...I'd look into those to see what kind of temp they are running, they seem to work well.

·
Premium Member
? ? ?
692 Posts
This sounds like a great idea, considering the temps to be closer to 60 degrees vs 140 degrees; especially good for the rear nozzle, since that seems to freeze up first for me.

Michael

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
I think the "toasty 60F" spec from the Amazon description is a typo, as while 60F is above freezing, it's still rather cool to the touch. The Nebraskan HotRod site spec is 140 F, which is 60 C.

140 F was probably selected in part because it's warm enough to be useful but not hot enough to injure a person without prolonged exposure.

Might be worth further research.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the "toasty 60F" spec from the Amazon description is a typo, as while 60F is above freezing, it's still rather cool to the touch. The Nebraskan HotRod site spec is 140 F, which is 60 C.

140 F was probably selected in part because it's warm enough to be useful but not hot enough to injure a person without prolonged exposure.

Might be worth further research.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
I had actually already read all those things.:biggrin: I just wasn't sure about the temp. I think im going to pick one up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just use decent fluid and it wont freeze on contact. The typical junk fluids all suck donkey, I use Orange (Not the crappy yellow!) Rain-X and I've never had it freeze on contact with a fresh morning Canada ice cold windshield.

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just use decent fluid and it wont freeze on contact. The typical junk fluids all suck donkey, I use Orange (Not the crappy yellow!) Rain-X and I've never had it freeze on contact with a fresh morning Canada ice cold windshield.
True, but it would be nice to get a good melt out of it too. Plus it's kinda bling. lol

·
Registered
310 Posts
This sounds like a great idea, considering the temps to be closer to 60 degrees vs 140 degrees; especially good for the rear nozzle, since that seems to freeze up first for me.

Michael

That's one of the things I noticed on my '09 Forester. My '99 Forester use to have the rear nozzle freeze up all the time, but in the past year and a half I've never had the rear nozzle freeze up on my '09 Forester. Seems like Subaru addressed this issue as well

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,928 Posts
add more IPA (isopropyl alcohol)

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anybody see a problem with mounting it on the firewall to the left of the air cleaner? It has to be mounted vertically and there's a little lip that i can screw into. It's also semi near the sprayer hose from the tank. I never realized how cramped out engine compartments are!

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
741 Posts
If you buy one piece wiper blades, this isn't a problem to begin with.
Also, like mentioned earlier, buy proper fluid, with the right temperature rating.
I'm from Ottawa, Ontario, we tend to get some colder temperatures here.

Currently looking at -13C, or 9F for those in the U.S.

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
Just a few comments about windshield wiper washer systems and windows cracking...
140 degrees!?!?!? I doubt that you've tried full body immersion in anything hotter than 106! Way too hot! Very likely to crack windshield that way!

Which brings up another thing to consider...cracking occurs when the difference in temperatures is too great between the fluid and the glass surface. Here in Alaska, we run 20 degrees below zero windshiled washer fluid (has something like antifreeze in it), but often that'll even freeze up if you're going down the road. In those conditions, your only solution is to optimize your heater defrosting system so that you raise the windshield temperature.
-Quick

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually tried to install it today, and although it was warm enough to steam when it came out of the nozzle (didn't try on the sprayers) the crappy fluid is so frozen in it that it doesn't seem to work. I'm going to wait till tomorrow and see if it's any better. I doubt the water, once atomized, actually hits the window at 140F. The main use i see for this system is getting all the ice and snow off a windshield while driving. If i end up with a cracked windshield tomorrow, well, i'll warn you.

However, remember that Jag's, Benz's and some other cars come with this exact system in their fluid.

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
Use a washer fluid rated to -20F or -30F with a deicer additive. If you can't find that, use a washer fluid of choice and add HEET Gas line antifreeze. No need for a heater and all the work to put one in.

·
Registered
2002 L
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Use a washer fluid rated to -20F or -30F with a deicer additive. If you can't find that, use a washer fluid of choice and add HEET Gas line antifreeze. No need for a heater and all the work to put one in.
Already put it in. :biggrin: Just waiting for the frozen stuff in the lines to defrost tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts