Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2009 forester xt
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I am not asking a newbie question, but here goes. I just picked up my 2010 xt last week and had some work done on it immediately.(uppipe, downpipe, cold air intake, headers, and dyno work?(not even sure what this means). A buddy of mine is a car fanatic and recomended this mechanic. Anyway, the mechanic said for exhaust he would have to build a custom one. All the other stuff was ordered from various parts places and were legit. i am a little concerned about a custom build. Do I have any other options? What should the above mentioned work have cost me? Just trying to make sure I got a good deal. While in the shop he had a ton of other cars that were much more expensive than mine(a porsche, mercedes,300z, etc) that he was working on. i talked to some of the owners and they said he was great. Just looking for some guidance. Thanks in advance. By the way, the car is awesome!:woohoo: Best car purchase I have ever made.:Banane17:

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
As far as making power with the exhaust, the larger, better flowing downpipe would give you the most benefits, even if you still have the stock exhaust system after it. You can pick up a used downpipe pretty cheap, it wouldn't be worth the trouble making a custom one. The rest of the exhaust will have some benefits if you get rid of resonator, use larger tubing and a better flowing muffler, but your power gains are in the downpipe.

You'd need a tune if you replace the downpipe, anything after it -- not so much.

Stan

·
Official sf.org decal guy
2006 FXT
12,516 Posts
What downpipe did you swap in? We need some specifics. And as Stan said you really need some type of engine management with all those mods. Don't do anything else til you get the EM.

As for a catback, Subaru sells an SPT model straight out of their catalog but I don't think it's advertised as fitting a Forester. Someone on here I remember has it. Custom would be great especially if it's not a fortune. I don't know what to recommend for a double exhaust. For a single exhaust like I have I just wouldn't get any piping smaller than what the down pipe is. I'm sure there an actual science to that (Ideal Gas Law PV = nRT = NkT).

My turbo back is 3" all the way.

Just tell us what you paid and we'll tell you if it was a good deal. We won't judge (much).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts