Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS Premium 5MT
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2000 N/A 4EAT Forester with 162,xxx on it and last night I noticed smoke coming from my engine compartment. This happen once a few months back and I just let the fan run for a while and all was well until last night. My dad noticed a leak coming from my car about a week ago so we checked the power steering fluid at it was low, but that is another story, anyways I topped it off and went on my merry way until 2 days ago when I checked it again and it was low once again (the fastest this has ever happen) so I topped it off once more. Last night when I pulled into my drive way my dad saw smoke coming out of my grill so we popped the hood and there was massive amounts of smoke. We checked the oil, and it was low (I know, I know I need to keep up on my fluids) so we filled that up hoping that would do the trick. Today was good, and then when I got home from detailing my car at my dad's shop, there was more smoke!!! My dad says he saw oil on my exhaust so I really want to know, WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY FOZ?!?!?!?!?

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
Tough to tell from this vantage point but a little climbing around under the hood and under carriage should reveal some sort of trail. If your engine has been kept clean you should be able to see the residue of one of the various fluids.

The passenger side boot on the cv joint if split will spin grease directly on the exhaust and cause a heck of a cloud. Short trips won't do it. The rpm's + heat will bring it on.

Leaky valve covers will cause some smoke however not from the tail pipe.

Foresters are pretty easy to climb around under neath especially if you put one side up on a curb. You're most likely see some sort of dark trail indicating a fluid leak.

Sorry for the lack of specifics. Check back in and let us know if you spot any thing unusual.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the perfect diagnosis rsay777. My driver side CV boot is torn as is the CV boot on my passenger side, but not the one by my brake, its up further than that. Is this an expensive fix?

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
Don't know the $ side of it but if left unfixed it will ruin the CV joint and then the axle will have to be replaced. If I remember correctly you want to replace the entire axle(s) to avoid future problems. Here is a link http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f89/replacing-front-axles-47685/

Also there is a SEARCH function built into this forum with members that have gone through what you are attempting to solve. This an many problems have tons of info.

Good luck and check back.

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
Also, don't forget to check the rear CV boots. The passenger side front is the closest to the exhaust and most prone to split.

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
I forgot that end wrench has a fee structure.

Google "forester cv boot replacement" there is enough info there for installation and parts ordering.

Better git er done b4 the San Joaquin fog rolls in.

I lived in Bakersfield and drove from there to Wasco everyday. That fog will get your attention real quick

L8R guy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I took the foz down to my preferred tire shop to get my tires rotated today and had them take a look at my issue. Yes, I need new CV boots, but NOT right now. The issue with the smoke is my rack and pinion! They can get me one for $350 but even the mechanic said to find one online. Now here is where you guys come in. I need your advice on what I should get. I'm finding them for around $290 and I need your opinions on what is better. Here is the link to the products that I've found.

2000 subaru forester rack and pinion - Google Search

1 - 9 of 9 Posts