Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new to the Forester life here. Actually leaving the wrangler life for the Subi life.
I wanted to see if all of you think I made a good Purchase. I just got a 2012 Subaru 2.5x premium with 94,000 miles on it for $13,900. I’m financing it through Carvana and the car is in amazing shape and runs like a dream. Honestly I love it.
My only worry is I’ve never gotten a car with so many miles on it before and I know they hold their value well. I just wasn’t to see if you all think it was a good choice.
I’m still within the 7 day trial period, so I can always change my mind so it’s not like I’m stuck with it yet.

·
Administrator
16,448 Posts
G'day & Welcome @Joshbarb

Buying a Wrangler - no. Buying a Subaru - yes. 😁

Seriously though - if the Subie has complete service records then that would be a comfort factor for me.

Do one little test though - with a cold engine remove the radiator cap, start the car and and as it warms up watch for any bubbling in the coolant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Kevin Thank you! The Car Fax reads regular maintenance no accidents and just all around quality care. It’s in pristine condition and even has a new set of tires.

I’ll definitely do this test tomorrow. What does this indicate ?

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,022 Posts
Subaru choice? Yes.

Price? No. I think you paid too much. But, that's a whole other story.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,639 Posts
On a 2012 I would be more concerned about oil consumption than a head gasket issue. However the former will be hard to determine in a 7 day trail period.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,022 Posts
Yea, Miami area might have something to do with it. Up where I live, every 3rd or 4th car (most days) is a Subaru.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, Miami area might have something to do with it. Up where I live, every 3rd or 4th car (most days) is a Subaru.
Man that’s how it kinda used to be when I lived in jersey, but I think around here I’ve seen like four Subaru’s in the past two years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My base price on a 2012 Forester 2.5X Limited with 55,000 miles was $13,200 just last week in upstate NY. I considered this a fair price for my area, though not astounding. However, I do count myself lucky to have found one with such low mileage.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester
1,157 Posts
Personally I would think Carvana is probably the most expensive way to buy a used vehicle unless there is major VC subsidizing each transaction. The smartest thing would be to have the vehicle looked at by an independent mechanic or a Subaru dealer unless you have confidence in your mechanical abilities. Just keep in mind every used and even new car for that matter will eventually develop problems and need repairs. Carvana seems more focussed on cosmetic imperfections than on the mechanics. Basically their model seems to be to buy cars at auction and then repair and them.

Hopefully, you got a good one and will enjoy it for a number of years!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
The smartest thing would be to have the vehicle looked at by an independent mechanic or a Subaru dealer unless you have confidence in your mechanical abilities.
Wise advice!

·
Registered
2014 2.0 XT Touring
161 Posts
I think you overpaid, but that’s just my $0.02 - there are plenty of 2014-2018 Foresters with less than 75,000 on them for that same price.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Base - Magnetite Gray Metallic
183 Posts
If you are happy with your deal, I got mine for $25K out the door, that is all that matters, good luck with everything if you keep it! :)

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Forester Sport - Ice Silver Metallic, Option pkg 24.
267 Posts
I think you overpaid, but that’s just my $0.02 - there are plenty of 2014-2018 Foresters with less than 75,000 on them for that same price.
+1. I think you also overpaid and financing a used car means you probably got jacked up with higher interest rates. With $18,000 you could have gotten a new one with another $7,000 with 4 year warranty and less than 50 miles on the odometer.

Also coming into the forums and asking for advice or opinion how you did on a already purchased car is already a poor decision. Just my $0.02 cents.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring Automatic
87 Posts
You Mr new Scuby owner got raped!!

...and HELL NO! did you make the right choice, hopefully control arm bushings/wheel bearing hubs and such have been replaced, otherwise $$$$
I have a 2014 and had nothing but trouble... at 45K miles it needed bushings which is unheard off with such low mileage.. luckily I arm wrestled SOA and I won, they paid appx $1200 to the dealership.
Personally, I would never buy another one again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
+1. I think you also overpaid and financing a used car means you probably got jacked up with higher interest rates. With $18,000 you could have gotten a new one with another $7,000 with 4 year warranty and less than 50 miles on the odometer.

Also coming into the forums and asking for advice or opinion how you did on a already purchased car is already a poor decision. Just my $0.02 cents.
Moneys money. I think is worded the title of this post wrong. I was more trying to get into the topic of what people think about the car with that many miles on it and prior experiences with their foresters. Plus like I said 7 day trial period, so not technically set in stone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Personally I would think Carvana is probably the most expensive way to buy a used vehicle unless there is major VC subsidizing each transaction. The smartest thing would be to have the vehicle looked at by an independent mechanic or a Subaru dealer unless you have confidence in your mechanical abilities. Just keep in mind every used and even new car for that matter will eventually develop problems and need repairs. Carvana seems more focussed on cosmetic imperfections than on the mechanics. Basically their model seems to be to buy cars at auction and then repair and them.

Hopefully, you got a good one and will enjoy it for a number of years!
[/
They do have a 100 day 4,100 mile warranty, so when I get a shot I’m going to take it to a Subaru dealership for a full run down. If anything is wrong or needs work they cover the cost.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I was more trying to get into the topic of what people think about the car with that many miles on it and prior experiences with their foresters.
As I mentioned earlier, keep an eye out for excessive oil consumption especially if you have a manual transmission. There was a class action suit settlement which included the 2012 Foresters. You can read about it here:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts