Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I had tein s tech springs & cobb front & rear swaybars installed by presicion tuning a week & 1/2 ago & my vehicle's suspension is now badly damaged. On friday night I was pulling into my driveway which has a slight incline & is a little warped/bumpy so I drive very slowly up it (approx. 2-3mph) & I heard a loud pop/cracking sound. I thought that I may have scrapped one of my mudflaps on my driveway because the veh. is now lower but when I got out & inspected the vehicle there was no body damage at all. I then noticed that the vehicle was leaning 2-3 inches to the drivers side & when i crawled underneath the vehicle to look for the problem I noticed the rear swaybars endlinks were twisted around & the bolts connecting the swaybar were compressed on the passenger side of the vehicle. It also looks like I probally have some damage to my stock susp. components as well. I am having the vehicle towed back to presicion tuning tom. so they can look at it. Does any one know of any past experiences where the cobb swaybars have damaged an xt's suspension? I'm leaning towards the swaybars being the problem here so any help which be much appreciated. The vehicle is an 05 xt 5 speed which I purchased in oct. of 04. It only has 13,000 miles on it so it is still under warranty but I beleive i'd have a problem with any warranty claims because of the aftermarket parts. I know that presicion tuning is a pretty reliable shop so i'm pretty lost as to what to make of the problem because cobb tuning also has a good reputation. Again any help is appreciated, thanks.

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
What type of endlinks are you using? If they're stock, that was your problem. Stock endlinks can't take the torque that a 25MM swaybar can put out. Also the lateral link mounting point is a weak one with these larger rear bars.

I won't recommend a particular brand but i'm sure the Hotchkis or Cobb endlinks will help with this. Also, you're most likely going to need to upgrade your endlink mounting points by using Poltec boxed endlinks or beefing up your stock tabs.

The fact that you're lowered actually helps a bit but consider the fact that now you have these big swaybars connecting the sides of your suspension together. This may be fine if you've reduced the suspensions travel a lot but if it's close to stock height, you can see where the rear bar and especially the endlinks are going to be under a lot of stress trying to articulate with the long stroke of the stock struts as in instances like pulling into a driveway diagonally. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
IanN, Keep us posted. If its just your endlink or lateral link mounting point (which I suspect) you'll need beefier endlinks, but why not get the boxed endlinks from PolTec and end that worry.

With sf.com down the history is not as deep. Percision Tuning can't be held accountable for knowing about Forester specific faults with rear end/lateral links. When I purchased my Cobb rear bar from Subaru of Dallas they pitched Hotchkis endlinks and I said "what about the lateral link?". They had no clue. It's up to the person/owner doing the mod to ensure it will work. We can't depend on the tuner.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
TTIWWOP. We can give you a more accurate assessment with pics. And yeah, not saying you are but you really can't blame the shop although if they know Subies at all they should have known that those coat hanger endlinks wouldn't hold up to the Cobb bar.

When you bring your own parts to a shop to be installed the onus is really on you to be sure you have the right parts and that they'll work together. What i'm finding out is although a lot of Impreza stuff fits, it isn't always perfect and it's frustrating wasting a lot of time and money trying to figure out what the suppliers dont. And this isn't isolated to Impreza parts. Forester specific stuff ain't always what it seems either.

I've had my coilovers out three times due to fitment issues and another bout is about to start. The aftermarket just doesn't care about slight differences in model years. They just add the new year into their website with the same part no. and wait for us to uncover the mis-match.

So you're not alone. But I feel Subie dealers and aftermarket suppliers are pretty lame.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. Unfortunatly I did have the stock endlinks on my vehicle so that is most likely the cause of the problems. When I purchased the swaybars from cobb I asked if I needed any supporting components & they advised no but like you guys said the aftermarket world can be lame sometimes & it is definitly a buyer's beware market so I'm just going to have to live & learn (& pay). The forester is not my first modified car (i had a heavily modified 92 300zx & moderatly modified 02 wrx before my forester) so I know that there are very few modifications that go as planned. The shop is an aftermarket shop that does specialize in subarus (www.presiciontuning.com) & They have been very reliable so I expect they are going to help me as best they can & I would like to continue to have a good relationship with them so I never planned on putting any blame on them. I'll keep you posted on the diagnosis & will most likely be ordering the beefier endlinks so this dosen't happen again. Hopefully there was not too much damage done to all the components but from quick look underneath the car it did not look good. Thanks for all the help & quick responses.

G

·
I upgraded to STI lateral links and perrin solid end links with my Cobb setup and solved the problem. The stock lateral link mounts are crap, snapped off the second week after the install, had the dealer replace it under warranty, lasted about 2 months and snapped again, had them welded and they lasted 6 months until the next failure, funny thing is the stock end links held up pretty well and I am still using my front stockers with no problems. Finally I decided to just pull the trigger with the lateral links and new end links and everything has been fine. Not the cheapest fix but if you want to do it right the only fix, in my opinion the problem was in the lateral links, the end links are supposedly the same as the STI so I really can't blame the end link 100%. Quite a few people have used the Poltec mounts and had good luck so that is an economical fix also. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

·
Gone but not forgotten - R.I.P.
520 Posts
FWIW, I had Precision put on an STi sway bar and mounts while I was there to get my Forester STi springs put on. No problems in over a year using the stock endlinks.

I just found some Perrin endlinks cheap on Ebay and picked them up.

·
Premium Member
2012 GTI DSG 6-speed
1,463 Posts
Sounds like a simple case of flipped swaybar after the springs were installed.

MikeBike (and I) ran into this problem after we installed his STi springs. When the car was lowered with the new springs the swaybar flipped and rested against the endlinks. Mike caught it the next day before any serious suspension damage occurred but his end links needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just wanted to update my suspension situation. The vehicle was looked at by precision tuning yesterday & the damage was caused by a broken endlink & flipped swaybar so all your responses were right on. Luckily there was no damage done to the stock suspension components because I caught it quick enough & did not cont. to drive the vehicle. Precision tuning advised they were going to contact cobb to find out what the best fix is & then they would let me know what to do from there but at this point i'd rather just put up the money for aftermarket endlinks & possible lateral links as well to get the car fixed right. Again thanks for the help

·
Registered
2006 XT
671 Posts
Ian, Glad it's being worked out.

I looked at it this way.

:D $160 for new PolTec box endlinks, 1-2hr install and no alignment
:shock: $300-500 for Lateral Links, $50-100 endlinks, 2-4hr install and likely alignment

If I was flush with money, no question I'd be calling Dariusz at PolTec for there sweet Lateral/End link sets.

Jeff
Cheap, but not easy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the price quotes jeff. I'm definitly not flush with money & I was originally supposed to leave this car alone but I somehow talked my wife into letting me get the sway bars & springs as a christmas gift. I thought I would be able to leave the car alone but it looks like it is going to turn into another money pit like my previous cars. At this point i'd rather fix the car correctly so I'll be checking out poltecs site & will most likely put in an order for the lateral/end link set shortly. Looks like i'll be in the doghouse w/the wife for a little while. Thanks, Ian

·
Registered
2015 RDS Manual
883 Posts
nice... I'm looking into this too but I don't see an option for our cars on t he poltec site for lateral links?!

·
520 Posts
IanN,

I just checked in my garage. I have an unused set of the PolTec end links sitting there. Not the box ones but the ones from the old group buy.

I'm about 50 minutes WSW of Precision. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I spoke to kyle from presicion this morning & he said they were going to order a set of rear endlinks from perrin for me but i'm not sure if the order was put in yet. If they have already been ordered I'll probally just stick with the perrin endlinks they ordered. He advised that I could hold off on the lateral links& that he though the endlinks would solve the problem. I'll try & get in touch with him again to see if he put an order through or not. If they haven't been ordered yet i would be very interested. I'll try to speak with presicion again today but I think they may have closed by now so I may call them monday morning to check the status. what area of south jersey are you in? I live right off of exit 8 on the turnpike.

·
520 Posts
IanN,

To be frank, I'm selling the PolTecs because I've decided to put in the Perrin's :) Hopefully, this weekend. Just make sure you get the STi Perrin's not the WRX.

<Jersey Speak> I'm between Exit 5 and 6a </Jersey Speak>

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll update you as to what endlinks I get & I will make sure that presicion tuning orders the STI endlinks if I do go with the perrins.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts