Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 2.5X PZEV Forester
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently using Festoon blue LED light bulb's (got them off ebay, bulb type: DE3175) for my dome and map lights in my 2010 forester. I can't seem to find any 5w LED Festoon bulbs in blue so I was wondering if it would be okay to use the 8w bulb in replacement of the stock 5w bulb?

I know that using a higher wattage than recommended can cause fire but because this is such a small difference (3 watts) and LED (which is suppose to use less power, someone let me know if this is right?), I was hoping it wouldn't be a problem. The bulb will be going on the front driver and passenger door panel which only turns on when the door is open so the light bulb wouldn't even be on very often. Last thing I want to do is burn out a fuse or something and have to replace everything that got ruined!

Thanks for taking the time to read this..!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,750 Posts
Something's not right here. What was stock in your Forester? Mine had 8 Watt incandescents, so replacing them with anything up to 8 Watts would be fine. Were yours really LEDs? If so, were they really rated at 5 Watts actual power consumption, or was this some sort of invented 'equivalent light output' figure?

Festoon LEDs that I've used in dome and map lights take only 48 ma (actually measured) current, which works out to merely about 2/3 of a Watt each.

Overload at your own risk. We have had some loosely described reports here which appear to say that people did indeed blow out the $$$ dome light controller by wiring in additional incandescent bulbs. But I think you'd be totally safe with LEDs. Best bet, however, is to measure everything with a multimeter first.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X PZEV Forester
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was stock in your Forester? Mine had 8 Watt incandescents, .
the side door panel light bulbs that came stock are 12v-5w. these are the ones that i want to switch out for blue LED bulbs to match my new map/dome lights.

i got the map/dome led light bulbs from LEDoption website

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,750 Posts
That wattage sounds extraordinarily high for a LED. Can you measure the ones that you have with a meter and see what their actual current draw might be?

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,055 Posts
The RED door lights? Ya think there'll be much light by the time the blue light passes through the red lens?

·
Registered
09 XS Premium A/T
95 Posts
Johnny how'd you get on with replacing those front door 5w incandescent bulbs (measuring 28 x 7 mm) with LEDs? what'd you end up using?

if you're still working on it consider using the "3022-W9" from superbrightleds.com (29mA, 7lm, 7500K).

·
Registered
2011 forester X Limited
6 Posts
so which bulbs can i use

i understand the volts and use of mA by the leds. im good there. but what sizes? as far as i can get is that the 09-11 all use the same interior bulbs. if thats the case, can i use 3022 led festoon for the map, dome and doors? if the doors are 28mm, is it just a matter of tweaking the bulb brackets so it fits properly? and the same for the dome and map lights since they take a 3175? i mean the 3022's are only 2mm longer. and the difference from the 3175 and 3022 is only about 1 1/2mm, no big deal right? and what about the cargo light? is it just a 168? i havent gone as far as to call service at the dealership, but i have exhausted the net searching. guess the 2011 is too new to have any real info on it other than new product reviws and such. and the turn, blinker brakes, are they standard connection ( ground on opposite sides) or ck connection ( ground on same side)? like i said havent called dealership or got out my tester, just questioning the masses first, im new to the subarus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts