Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Automatic
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In bleeding my brakes (04 FXT), the corrosion on my driver's front caliper was so bad that I needed to replace it with a spare I had lying around. We have since bled the system 2x, but are still getting mushy feel from the pedal until ~50% into the stroke. No bubbles coming out of the system is leading me to believe that some air might have seeped into the MC while the caliper was not attached.
My main question it how do I bleed the MC, as it looks like that is the next step.
thanks.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Have you tried bleeding all the brakes?

This is what the manual has listed for the bleeding procedure.

Brake fluid replacement sequence;
(A) Front passenger side
(B) Rear driver side
(C) Front driver side
(D) Rear passenger side

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
I doubt it will make a difference, but it is the procedure out of the manual.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,162 Posts
Wouldn't good, complete bleed automatically clear out the master cylinder?

Any chance the reservoir got too low during the bleed, or the fluid in it got too agitated?

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Automatic
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bled this piss out of it. We ran almost 1/2 a liter of brake fluid through it to get all of the bubbles out, and a bit more to try and get feel back. It never came back 100%, but they stop a ton better now. I will be adding SS lines, and likely going to 4/2 pots at some point, but for now these will do once I get new Hawk HP+ pads

·
Registered
2002 S
2,695 Posts
Silly question but, do you have the new caliper on with the bleeder pointed up? It's possible you have it on the wrong side and can't get all of the air out because the bleeder is pointed down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts