Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Forrester
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, there I was - in the process of removing the radio in my WIFE'S 2000 Forester, - when I screwed up and broke the guts of the gear knob Release Button while trying to get the gear knob off the shaft. :icon_mad::icon_redface:

1) Is there a link to a parts diagram to indicate how this thing works?

2) What can I do to temporarily by-pass this release mechanism until I can get replacement part(s)?

3) How do I tell my wife she has no transportation to work tomorrow?:icon_rolleyes:

Thank you.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
3,121 Posts
Theres a little tab on the shifter console that you can pry up with a small screwdriver to manually release the shift lock.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,095 Posts
If you have the owners manual handy it shows you how to do it in thre, TC is right you can bypass using the little hatch.

edit:

I just checked the owners manual for the 2000 and there is no little hatch like the later years, you need to lift up the whole console surround. Uploading now, see attached

as for #3 you are on your own...

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Forrester
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
UPDATE

Okay! Found the page in the owner's manual.
The fix did not work as advertised!
- Of course, not having a Release Button did not help.

NEXT STEP:
Removed the Gear Indicator cover and indicator to expose the lower portion of the Gear Shift SHAFT.

Discovered that the shaft is cut on opposite sides for a protruding pin to run up and down (activates the key lock in the lower position in PARK).

Ended up having to pry the pin UP.
This action raised the broken top white plastic internal rod within the Gear Shift SHAFT.
Then, moving it to Neutral allowed me to shift into D, 2, 1... BUT NOT Reverse.
Had to pry up the pin again to shift into R.

Wish I could see an exploded diagram of how the Gear Shift Knob BUTTON is supposed to work.

Thank you both for your help. :Banane35:

Now, I can tell my wife that while she cannot drive the car, I can get her to and from work tomorrow. :icon_cool:

·
Registered
2001 Forrester
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Woke up at 3:30 am with my brain trying to figure out how the Automatic Gear Shift handle's Release Button.

ARGH!
I can't see:
a) how the the horizontal motion of the Release Button translates into the vertical motion of the white plastic rod within the Automatic Gear Selector shaft.
and
b) how to replace the internal rod and mate it with the Release Button in the Gear Shift Handle body.

:shake:

·
Registered
2000 forester
10 Posts
I wonder how you resolved this. I was in a shopping center carpark and the button of the side of the T bar auto on my 2000 Forester jammed and I could only get Drive and Neutral- I was lucky and managed to drive out forward when someone else moved and I got home. I removed the two philips head screws on either side of the T bar off and lifted off the T bar assembly, revealing the white plastic thing with the metal loop at the top that releases the stick to R and P and rigged a wire around that to operate the auto tranny. The plastic button has some little splines on it and one of them broke off- impossible to glue well enough to work- so I need new plastic button. Called Subaru and they only sell the T bar top assembly for $167. I went to the Suby wrecker and they only sell the whole shift assembly for $132. No one sells just the button. I can fabricate a repair, and will to save the money- but can't I just buy the damn button someplace? My car is right hand drive, so the button is on the right side of the T bar- I presume a button from lhd cars in the US wouldn't work. Anybody got some advice? Cheers from Melbourne Australia

·
Registered
2001 S Premium Automatic
34 Posts
Hope it's ok to resurrect this thread.
The same happened to me, a piece of plastic belonging to the "clutch/release" button broke and jammed my gear selection to R and P.
N, D, 1, 2 and 3 still ok as the button isn't needed for those.

After taking everything apart I figured out how to do it better for another time:
on the underside of the button there is a small spring that looks like a half a loop. Use a pen, pliers or similar to pull this out (don't lose it!) then pull the button out.
You will get a part of the button, the rest remain in the stick handle head until it's fully off.

Now unscrew both small philips screws on each side of the shaft.
You can now pull the top handle up, note that on some models like mine there is a power button with a wire. This means you need to remove the cover for the handbrake and then the cover for the mechanics under the gear selector so you can unplug it.
I was going to take pics but was too tired, next time.

Oh and the conclusion: once I had removed the little piece of broken plastic I simply installed everything again and lo and behold it works again :D

Time to fix: 30 mins the first time, next time 5 mins..

2001 Forester Sf5 automatic gear won't go into Park.

·
Registered
2001 Forrester
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5 year (almost 6!) Update
The car now has 197,000 miles on it. :)

For the past 5 years I have screwed a threaded hex headed bolt into the top of the white plastic rod and used that to lift and lower the white plastic rod.

The problem with this "temporary" fix is that the white plastic does not really hold all that well, allowing the bolt to pull out and requiring increasingly bigger diameter bolts.

The next step is to replace the white plastic rod.

Question:
What is the best way to remove the lower horizontal pin that works for shifting detent purposes and goes through both the metal tube and the the white plastic rod?

Thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts