Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester AWD Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, newbie here so please be gentle on me :icon_redface:

I bought my wife a 2003 Subaru Forester AWD with a M30 Sigma fitted alarm with single button.

A couple of months ago she noticed that the fob on the key wouldn't open the doors so had to unlock them manually using the key. We assumed that this might be a dead/weak battery issue. She managed to start the car ok so we didn't think anymore of it.

Today when she unlocked the car with the key (still haven't bothered to replace the key fob battery) the alarm decides to go off. After carefully following the operating instructions to disarm the M30 sigma alarm we were unable to get any of the key presses to register. The book states "each time a button is pressed the LED on the keypad will flash once as confirmation" We tried 3 times but no lights came on whatsoever so we've had to resort to disconnecting the battery for now.

With it not flashing i'm wondering whether there may be a fuse out. Is this possible or has anyone else experienced this and if so we would appreciate knowing how you overcame this situation.

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Automatic
64 Posts
I set my alarm of once, I just pressed the button on the fob to turn it off. So you will probably need to change the battery in the fob, or check the switch isn't broken. The switch can be soldered back in place if you have a good soldering iron, but would probably only last a couple of mth before it breaks again, that is if your switch is broken.

·
Registered
2006 STI
6,972 Posts
This may sound out of left field, but is the car battery okay?

Some alarm issues can be the result of that, albeit that doesn't necessarily seem to be your issue.

Sorry not to have any other ideas... I'm sure there will be others along soon that will be better informed than me!

·
Registered
1999 STB Automatic
1,558 Posts
replacing battery is the least cost option to try CR1620's

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
3,014 Posts
Has the car been used recently? Sluggish to start?

I'd be thinking it's the main car battery if it's original
Like others have said, pop a new battery in the key fob and go from there - Halfords sold them and some bigger supermarkets do too - alternatively a jewellers would probably do the battery too

Curious, without a battery in the fob, if you don't start the car within 30 seconds of disarming the immobiliser, can you push the button on the key fob and start the car, or do you have to go back to the keypad?

·
Registered
2003 Forester AWD Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has the car been used recently? Sluggish to start?

I'd be thinking it's the main car battery if it's original
Like others have said, pop a new battery in the key fob and go from there - Halfords sold them and some bigger supermarkets do too - alternatively a jewellers would probably do the battery too

Curious, without a battery in the fob, if you don't start the car within 30 seconds of disarming the immobiliser, can you push the button on the key fob and start the car, or do you have to go back to the keypad?
Hi TMX.

1. The car is used on a daily basis and is never sluggish when starting up so would rule the main battery out.

2. The keyfob hasn't worked for a couple of months or so, but she has managed to get the car started just using the key to unlock the doors and start the car up until this morning when the car started and set off the alarm now :(

3. There is a battery in the fob but either is weak/dead so she cannot unlock the doors with it. I forgot to mention that since the keyfob stopped working so did the immobilser! :(

·
Registered
2003 Forester AWD Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
replacing battery is the least cost option to try CR1620's
Hi Shroud

I will get new battery however won't be able to re-program the key as the LED on the keypad doesn't light up to register each key press :(

·
Registered
1999 STB Automatic
1,558 Posts
That is still an issue, yes, but hopefully the replacement battery will still allow you to disarm the alarm with your key (as allowing the battery to go flat shouldn't require the key to be reprogrammed).

·
Registered
2003 Forester AWD Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is still an issue, yes, but hopefully the replacement battery will still allow you to disarm the alarm with your key (as allowing the battery to go flat shouldn't require the key to be reprogrammed).
So when I take the old battery out and put a new battery in the key fob it won't need reprogramming?

·
Registered
1999 STB Automatic
1,558 Posts
Shouldn't do, assuming it worked the alarm originally until the battery died. Worth checking first anyway, before having to explore other more costly options.

·
Registered
2003 Forester AWD Manual
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:Banane17: RESULT :Banane17:

Woke up this morning and re-connected the car battery.

1. Tried the keyfob and the door unlocked.
2. Tried the spare keyfob and that worked as well.
3. Entered the car and the immobiler's now working and so is the keypad LED!
4. Turned the key and the car started first time and without the alarm going off.

I can only assume that dis-connecting the car battery reset everything to the default factory settings. Thanks for all the advice guys.

·
Registered
2004 FSTi 6 speed manual
1,963 Posts
Cool , it's nice when you get a wee tickle like that , wish my probs resulted in such a simple procedure.

Andy:Banane35:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts