Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a jam with my 1998 Forester right now. My harness plug that connects to the front passenger-side door is completely corroded and several wires have popped out of the plug in an attempt to even separate the two ends. I'm now stuck having to splice the individual wires back together to bypass the plug, which is completely toast. I'm having trouble trying to figure out which wires/colors match up with the other side because several wires have popped out on either side and there's not much indication where they came from.

I can't find a good resource online that matches the two together, it will usually just have the harness side but not the other. Can anyone provide any assistance or diagrams for matching these up? If anyone even can snag a picture of the two plug ends and the wire locations going into each that would be helpful too.

Thanks

·
Registered
1998 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the plug hidden under passenger side kick panel that connects the wiring harness coming from under the dash to the passenger side door. I would imagine it connects to the power lock, power window, power mirror, and speaker. I think there are 2 separate plugs feeding into the door, I'm referring to the larger plug that has ~12 wires.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,942 Posts
The wiring diagram won't show just that connector wiring, you will have to look at the associated wiring diagrams to get all the wires that pass thru that connector! :icon_eek:

You may also be able to splice wires just matching the colors, but be aware that wire colors can change as they pass thru a connector.

Take a look at this post on another thread. I attached the SF wiring diagrams to that post. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

Reactions: SuperRu

·
Registered
1998 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at the local junkyards in hopes I could find the same connector, but they didn't have a 98 Forester and none of the other Subarus matched up in that location. Including a 98 Outback and a 2001 Forester. Pretty surprised (and disappointed) at that..

Attached are some pics of what I'm looking at and what I've been able to map based on the remaining wires. If anyone just had a picture of one that's intact I should be able to figure out the adjacent wire. Otherwise I guess I'm tearing into the door.

First is the female side, coming from under the dash. Five wires are severed from that- Green/White, Yellow/Red, Red/White, White/Black (Speaker Negative I think), Red/Blue

Next is the male side, it enters the door. Six wires are severed from that- Green/White, Yellow, Red/Blue, Green/Red, Blue/Green, Green/Black

The diagram I drew is what I know and don't know, based on what's still connected. The unknowns don't all have color matches and I can't determine which pin they fell out of or where to make the connections.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,942 Posts
That wiring diagram I linked you to is for the '99-'02 & looking thru the diagrams, your connector is nowhere to be found. It appears the '98 wiring is different! :frown:

Unless a member can provide a picture of that connector, you're going to have to locate an intact connector from a recycler, wrecking yard, eBay or perhaps here: Car-Parts.com :confused:

You can message eBay sellers, many are recyclers or wrecking yards, to see if they have those connectors with sufficient wires so you can see the colors.

Also...
If you go into the door, use caution, as many member have pulled the connector apart & that's a major PITA to re-pin! :icon_eek:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,248 Posts
I have the full 98 factory manuals in hard copy including wiring diagrams. Tomorrow I will pull them and try and scan what you need. Then email them to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts