Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Ron and I have successfully convinced my son he needs a Forester for his first car. Yes, he is a smart kid. I wanted to get on the forum and check to see which may be the best model if there were any upgrades or improvements around the model year we are looking for ie price we are looking for. $5000 and below should put us in the 2000 2001 range depending on mileage and all. he is going to go for the automatic, other than that we do not know but are willing to drive wherever to get the car, he doesn't want much and for the price range we are in should be able to get a car to last him past college. He is 16 and does really care if it is a beater or not. We are in no rush because I have already told him he has to finish a large project before he gets the car, which he should have completed by fall. OK for now I will lurk around and see the fun. SEEYA Ron

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,736 Posts
Welcome. Great choice for the son. Do you recommend one for him because you drive one too?

·
Registered
2010 Forester(sold 11/12) Manual
49 Posts
Welcome, whiteweed. Are you going to (1) let him drive it or (2) does he just have to wash it and maintain it?

I vote for (2) until he is, say, 35. He should also be locked in the attic until then.

Just kidding. Enjoy...if you review the forum you'll see the collective experience of the owners of the various Forester models. This is my first Forester but it looks to me like there are no terrible years or configurations but there are a few things to be aware of when you purchase a used one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome. Great choice for the son. Do you recommend one for him because you drive one too?
NO, I have already took the Tacoma that was supposed to be his. I want him to drive what I see as the safest car on the road. I was on the receiving end of one and you could not tell it had been in a wreck, yet my car was totaled. He likes to hike and wants something to hall gear and get where he wants to go. That's him in the avatar at Philmont.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts