Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5 speed
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a new owner of a 1999 Subaru Forester S with 260,000 miles. This car is number 21 of cars I've owned. I'm a self proclaimed gearhead. I've been in the Army for 20 years now as a musician. It has been great, it has taken me and my family around the world.
Back to the car. This car get 27 MPG with that kind of miles, incredible! I have no idea of the service history so I was wondering about some prevent defense. I changed the oil and everything looked pretty good underneath. It does need a boot replaced on the passenger inboard joint, I figure I'll replace the whole axle half. I think a new timing belt and clutch may be in order since I have no idea when they were put in. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
Welcome along! Military band?

You can get a start on what to do by having a look at the factory maintenance schedule. That cars101 site is great for general technical and shopping data for Subarus, so be sure to spend a little time looking up some info for your particular model.

Anyway, good to hear that a quarter million miles have gone by with the car still running well.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,502 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on the new Forester! Post up a picture so the members can look it over. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
1999 Forester 5 speed
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome! It is a clean car. It did have the P0420 light come on. I looked at the cat and it looks fine from the outside (no way of knowing what the inside looks like). It is giving me 27 mpg so it is running great. Oh course I had to get it on a lift at the MWR auto shop and check out the car. Did an oil change and found a ripped CV boot. I figure I'll replace the whole axle. I am the second owner of the car. I got it through an intermediate dealer so I'm not sure of what maintenance has been done though. I figure it could use a new timing belt and maybe a clutch as this one seems to shutter a bit. Thanks for this site and any help.

·
Registered
2000 forester turbo s
65 Posts
Hello from sheffield England,260 thou!nice to know!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,966 Posts
Timing belt very important. You should be on your third one by now! And if the Forester has lasted this long it just might have already had the head gaskets replaced. That's unfortunately a common problem in the pre-2003 "SF" models, but once it's taken care of things tend to become stable. Other than those items, it looks like your ride is on track to run forever!

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your service to the country!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts