Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 X
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made a few prior posts with questions about this and that, but was waiting until getting a few pics up to make this "official" post.

Acquired an 03X for a very good price from a woman who moved from Montreal to Delaware a while ago. She put some miles on it (km really) and when I got it last week it had 262,000 km which equates to a little over 160k miles.

Lots of dings and some real dents and scratches -- she wasn't easy on it. But it runs and drives well and I've just returned from a trip from PA up to Cape Cod and back and it ran beautifully and got 29.5 mpg. And didn't burn any oil to speak of, so I'm a happy camper so far.

Sure I'll have lots more questions -- already notice the exhaust cover rattle and a few odds and ends. Oh, and it has an immobilizer on it so starting is a little different. That one may have to go.

But for a second car to put miles on and winter with AWD, I couldn't be happier. Looking forward to learning more from everyone here. The experience has been great so far! :icon_idea:

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,937 Posts
Welcome!

I have an 03X also and love it. Still 99% dent and ding free, only scheduled service and the timing belt at 100K but, other than that, she runs and runs........I also can easily get 29 MPG if I keep it at a steady 65-70 mph.

You're gonna love it in the snow..............

Steve

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,093 Posts
Welcome!

Do you have maintenance records? It's way over the time (105k miles) for replacement of the timing belt and associated stuff, so let's hope that it's been done. Or else, get it done real soon. All other scheduled maintenance is just routine stuff, but that one is important i.e., potentially fatal if not done.

Immobilizer in 2003 was a Canadian thing. Not standard on US models.

Yup, great winter car!

·
Registered
2003 X
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maint done

Yes, the timing belt, water pump were done at 100k. Seems like she did the majors, and just wasn't too concerned about bumps and bruises. With 160k, I'm a little watchful about other items, but so far I'm really pleased with it and will be taking a 300 mile day trip to the beach today!

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts