Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Going to be buying a Forester soon that I intend to use off road. Looking at a 2004 XT on Sunday that already has a 2.5” ADF lift, Method wheels, 225 size tires, and a roof basket. The car overall is in good shape; there are a few minor scratches from it being taken off road by the current owner. The interior is in good shape with no signs of cracking or tears on the leather seats. The current owner has changed all the fluids recently and the spark plugs as well. It has 130k miles on it. Timing belt and water pump haven’t been replaced yet. Asking price is $9,000 USD. Is this a fair asking price? What would a fair offer be?

I’ll be taking a flashlight with me to inspect the breaks, axles, CVs, engine components, etc. I’ll also be checking for coolant in the oil as well as smooth shifting from the automatic transmission during the test drive. What else should I look at/inspect when looking at the vehicle?

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-forester-xt/6754488808.html

I’ll be looking at this XT on Sunday with the intent to purchase. Does this seem like a fair asking price? What would be a fair offer?

The timing belt and water pump haven’t been changed out yet; vehicle has 130k miles on it.

What should I look at/inspect while I’m looking at it? What should I pay attention to during the test drive?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,402 Posts
$9,000??? You gotta be kidding!!! Way to high. Subarus are great cars. But they have way more parts (that could fail). You have no clue how much you are going to have to put into this thing. $5000 would be too high if things go south.

I gave a 2008 NA to my granddaughter and that had the Heads and timing belt (idlers, tensioner, wp done). Had 190K miles. Auto tranny had been drained and filled every 15K miles. It will surelly outlast what you are looking at. No way I could have gotten even 6K for it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts