Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester Touring Cvt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I was going to wait till I had pictures but the car was either dirty or in the shop. Haven't had much luck with my forester and not sure what to do at this point so I am asking your advice.

10/8/09 took car in for oil change and the steering something didn't feel right was told everything was normal
11/04/09 took car in for oil change and told them felt vibration thru the steering wheel - they said it was normal
1/27/10 Rack n Pinion had to be replaced. Steering felt better but not perfect. There was a terrible oil burning smell -its getting better
2/09/10 All wheel drive light stayed on took back to the shop - they said I had a error code of C0071 and now my car really rides terrible - I can feel the road thru the steering wheel and when I hit a bump or let go of the steering wheel goes to the right. My suspension really feels unbalanced took it to my mechanic and he agrees with me

Thanks for your input.

2010 Sage Green base model Forester

·
Registered
2010 Forester
173 Posts
Sounds like an issue with VDC (vehicle dynamics control). Some googling indicates that the error code is "steering angle sensor loss". Have you tried disconnecting the battery to clear the code and reset the system? You might have to leave the battery disconnected for a few hours.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.0 xt Tour
64 Posts
The dealer you bought your Forester from should fix your problem. Take it back, talk to the salesperson and don't leave till they do something.

Eric, 2010 Sage Green Forester...

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Welcome, glad you found us. Lot's of great members and lot's of great advice.

Contact Subaru Customer Relations and have them open a file on your vehicle. Explain the symptoms and time line that the dealer has had to address these issues.

I will say it is very important, any time you take a vehicle in for service or possible warranty work, is to have everything you want checked, written on the service order. Verify this before signing the work order and always get a copy of any work or warranty work done when completed. By doing so you have created a paper trail for Subaru and the dealer if these problems continue, even possibly gaining warranty repairs outside of the normal warranty.

Some dealers are just better at service than others. You can post the name of the dealer here (no slander, please), and you will most likely have members comment or make recommendations if necessary.

I believe there is a service bulletin (TSB) for something to do with the power steering pump, you can have Subaru check this for you when you speak to them. Again some dealers are right on top of TSB's and product information and others are lacking, plain and simple. The smell could have come from oil or grease that they used on the steering component replacement, that burnt oil smell can linger.

The all wheel drive light being on is a concern, again speak to someone at Subaru with the information you have. They may refer you back to the selling dealer but you can ask to go to another, see what they say.
The trouble code list that I have bookmarked only relate to engine management, but most likely relates to you your steering as boxer25 mentions but could be related to other problems.

It seems your dealer is using the process of elimination to try to fix things, since problems remain they haven't looked at the big picture.
See what Subaru recommends and at least you will have some satisfaction that somebody will be monitoring the dealer on this repair to give you the customer, satisfaction.

Keep us posted here, we'll be looking to find out what solution was found, for you and for others in the future that may have these problems.

Good Luck

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,085 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Glad you decided to join our group! Good luck on your repair issues.

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
2015 Forester Touring Cvt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the update. Called Subaru and told them my story with the steering/suspension issues and they contacted my dealer. Took the car back in the shop and test drove a new forester and there is a difference. They had another alignment and it rides better still not perfect- maybe I need to install swaybars, endlinks, and subframe bolts - I don't know anything about these parts or what I should get to make it a better ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts