Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT Automatic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, just picked up my first subie yesterday. Its a 2006 Forester XT (auto) with approx 115k miles on it. Looked to be well taken care of, single owner, good service history and no accidents. Looking to do some simple and budget modification for make it more fun to drive and also more reliable.
CC1F7A60-15EE-4891-9C94-A46717DE136B 2.jpg

Things I am planning on doing:

• Apple CarPlay Head Unit
  • Wheels and suspension
  • Cobb Accessport
  • Intake and Turboback
This forum has been incredibly useful, and I look forward to the build! Any suggestions on budget modifications that help with reliability and drivability would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows where I can get the Double Din Dash Pod, that'd be awesome, everywhere I look its like $150+. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you list the service history?
Oil and filter changes done every 3k and the most recent full service was done at 110k and included the following:
  • Maintenance inspection completed
  • Recommended maintenance performed
  • Vehicle washed/detailed
  • Brake fluid flushed/changed
  • Crankshaft oil seal(s) replaced
  • Differential fluid flushed/changed
  • Spark plug(s) replaced
  • Brakes checked
  • Drive belt(s) replaced
  • Transmission checked
  • Drivability/performance checked
This is my first time buying a car for myself so I hope I didn't miss anything. I think the timing belt needs to changed soon?

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Trans fluid drained /filled... stick, auto?

I would say yes to T belt as well as valve adjustment. But search to verify

Keep track of the dipstick at every gas fill to keep oil level full.
Log usage and ODO reading

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trans fluid drained /filled... stick, auto?
Automatic, and from the online service records it doesn't say anything about transmission fluid...
Thanks for the advice I'm def going to be proactive with the oil changes and ill check up on the valve adjustment. I was thinking of just going ahead and getting a full inspection done tomorrow since I wasn't able to do one when I bought the car. There are definitely some things I have noticed since getting the the car that I want to get looked at.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,350 Posts
I think the timing belt needs to changed soon?
Correct! Timing belt was due at 105k miles or 105 months (whichever comes first) and is critical. If there is no service record of it look for a sticker under the hood or in the engine bay area indicating that it was changed. Some shops place a sticker there. It should have been part of the recent "Recommended maintenance performed" but you know how that goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ForesterBill Looks like there isn't any sticker saying it was changed 😢When I go for an inspection I'll have it checked, I'm hoping they did change it because it seems like the last owner was pretty on top of all the services.

2017 2.5i Fozy CVT
1,283 Posts
Automatic, and from the online service records it doesn't say anything about transmission fluid...
It should if you care about one of the most expensive things to replace.

Drain/ fill, repeat, and a third time if you intend to drive it till the wheels fall off. ..
.....thereafter every 25- 30 thousand miles. Do not flush!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It should if you care about one of the most expensive things to replace.

Drain/ fill, repeat, and a third time if you intend to drive it till the wheels fall off. ..
.....thereafter every 25- 30 thousand miles. Do not flush!
Called the dealership the last owner used to service the car, and they said that they completed the timing belt service and transmission fluid at 110k miles. Thank God!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts