Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
4,630 Posts
Welcome from NY state, I would like to visit someday to see where my family came from.

I like my beer warm, so is that a good start?:Banane35: Taking German language in the spring at college too!

· Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
21,909 Posts
I was in Germany about 7 years ago, stayed with some friends in Heidelberg, but of course went all over (Garmisch, Rothenburg, Ulm, and more I can't remember right now). Sorry if I butchered the spelling on any of those words.
You got 100 on the spelling quiz! And you get extra credit because those are all really nice places. Though it's hard to go wrong there.

Common error is to confuse -burg (castle) with -berg (mountain).

· Registered
2006 Impreza WRX STI
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Real Lyte: no, that´s a no-go in germany:mob:, the Brits like their beer warm:icon_frown:, german beer is best served cold:banana:...where are your family roots in germany?

Duderotomy: comment ca va? That´s the rest I remember from my french lessons 25 years ago:shrug:

Thanks again for the welcome

· Registered
05 FXT 5MT
244 Posts
Welcome from Ohio!!! I was also living in Germany (about 15yrs ago). I lived in and around Frankfurt (Am Main) and loved every minute of it. Your english is "sehr gut!"

Sometime soon I wish to take my better half over to see the changes and show her where I lived.

Good to have you here Joerg.

· Registered
2006 Impreza WRX STI
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks a lot.

It´s amazing, someone should write a dissertation about "american Forester owners and Germany":icon_biggrin:

Well, I think Frankfurt hasn´t changed his appearance...there are nicer cities:icon_wink:, it´s still one of our criminal capitols, with very rich and very poor quarters

· Administrator
21,909 Posts
Thanks a lot.

It´s amazing, someone should write a dissertation about "american Forester owners and Germany":icon_biggrin:

Well, I think Frankfurt hasn´t changed his appearance...there are nicer cities:icon_wink:, it´s still one of our criminal capitols, with very rich and very poor quarters
Ah, but Sachsenhausen across the river!

Yes, I think that would make a good Master's thesis. It seems that a number of us were there due to military service. That's what got me started. In Frankfurt!

· Registered
2006 Impreza WRX STI
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
when I was a kid, my parents and I were on vacation in the Eifel, Bitburg.

I remember, sitting on the top of a hill, in the middle of nowhere, when the US Fighter pilots made their training flights at low heights, with their F-4 Phantoms and their F-15 Eagles. They flew so low, that I thought I could reach them with my hand (well, I was a kid).

That was in the 1980s, when I saw american cars and american soldiers for the first time.

· Administrator
21,909 Posts
Most of my time was in the south, the former "American Zone," though I did venture up your way from time to time and spent a lot of time along the (former!) border with the (former!) East and in Berlin.

We finally got back in 2000 and saw the (former!) other side. I wrote in my blog at the time, "We had always regarded the former West Berlin as a really wonderful city. But there is just no comparison with what Berlin has now become, with the union of the vibrancy of the former West and the monumental treasures of the former East.”

The military commissary system recognizes us Cold Warriors every year with a great assortment of German Christmas cookies, Stollen, and the like!

· Registered
2006 Impreza WRX STI
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It´s good that these "cold warriors" aren´t forgotten, without them, maybe, I would use now a cyrillic keyboard, thank you for your service in the foreign aka my country.

· Registered
4,630 Posts
Real Lyte: no, that´s a no-go in germany:mob:, the Brits like their beer warm:icon_frown:, german beer is best served cold:banana:...where are your family roots in germany?

Thanks again for the welcome
Haha I was mostly joking about warm beer, I will drink room temperature if I'm too impatient to wait for it to chill lol, a very dark beer is definitely preferable. To be honest I'm not sure where, it is something I have been meaning to look into in general. I want to learn as much as possible so I'm not some "silly" American visiting and walking around like an ignorant fool lol. Now time to start asking my grand parents about where their parents were from exactly...

· Administrator
21,909 Posts
Now time to start asking my grand parents about where their parents were from exactly...
DO THAT! I'm currently chasing down a genealogy question, and there's only one person left of the prior generation. There are so many questions I wish I had asked.

As for warm beer:
The Brits drink their beer (ale) at room temperature. They are known for having chilly rooms.

German beer tastes good at any temperature, but its taste gets suppressed when served in a frosty mug. There have been times in the US where I've had to seize my finally warmed up mug after beer #1, when the bartender kindly offers to replace it with a new frosty one for beer #2.​

· Registered
4,630 Posts
DO THAT! I'm currently chasing down a genealogy question, and there's only one person left of the prior generation. There are so many questions I wish I had asked.

As for warm beer:
The Brits drink their beer (ale) at room temperature. They are known for having chilly rooms.

German beer tastes good at any temperature, but its taste gets suppressed when served in a frosty mug. There have been times in the US where I've had to seize my finally warmed up mug after beer #1, when the bartender kindly offers to replace it with a new frosty one for beer #2.​
I fully agree, much of the flavor is wasted at fridge temps and that's why I drink my local micro-brewed beers (the flavorful tasty ones) near room temp. I keep my apartment at or below 60F at all times so it's not like the common room temp lol. I like my house cold hehe...

As for my family lines, I do know I am 1/2 German, 1/4 Italian and 1/4 other (unknown stuff lol). Just a matter of tracking stuff down...

· Registered
05 FXT 5MT
244 Posts
when I was a kid, my parents and I were on vacation in the Eifel, Bitburg.

I remember, sitting on the top of a hill, in the middle of nowhere, when the US Fighter pilots made their training flights at low heights, with their F-4 Phantoms and their F-15 Eagles. They flew so low, that I thought I could reach them with my hand (well, I was a kid).

That was in the 1980s, when I saw american cars and american soldiers for the first time.
I've been to Bitburg! Just passing through on my way to more mountain bike trails probably. :shrug: My first housing was in Rodelheim, just outside Frankfurt.....no base housing, just contracted apartments for the soldiers working there. I was not happy when I had to move into town and onto base housing. We moved away from local neighbors who we had become friends with. Aside from the real history and historical sights of your country, I miss the people the most.:Banane35:

Having a front row seat to the jets passing by is nice, isn't it?

· Registered
2006 Impreza WRX STI
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Haha I was mostly joking about warm beer, I will drink room temperature if I'm too impatient to wait for it to chill lol, a very dark beer is definitely preferable. To be honest I'm not sure where, it is something I have been meaning to look into in general. I want to learn as much as possible so I'm not some "silly" American visiting and walking around like an ignorant fool lol. Now time to start asking my grand parents about where their parents were from exactly...
quick conversion: 60° F are something between 15 and 16° C, that´s ok:icon_wink:

· Registered
2006 Impreza WRX STI
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I've been to Bitburg! Just passing through on my way to more mountain bike trails probably. :shrug: My first housing was in Rodelheim, just outside Frankfurt.....no base housing, just contracted apartments for the soldiers working there. I was not happy when I had to move into town and onto base housing. We moved away from local neighbors who we had become friends with. Aside from the real history and historical sights of your country, I miss the people the most.:Banane35:

Having a front row seat to the jets passing by is nice, isn't it?
Rödelheim, the only thing I know about it is the Rödelheim Hartreim Projekt:icon_wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cszYmZUtcJU

· Registered
2006 Impreza WRX STI
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
it´s not my kind of music too, but that´s the first and only time I´ve ever heard about Rödelheim :icon_wink:

21 - 40 of 45 Posts