Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now seems like as good a time as any to introduce myself.

I found myself moving to Colorado a couple years ago, hauling my trusty Ford Contour SVT to this great state. The Contour has been my baby since 2000 and although it will be hard to say goodbye, I am anxiously awaiting the purchase of a Forester in the 2004/2005 XT variety. I once hated the stigma that came along with owning a Subaru in Colorado but I have to admit, they make one hell of a car for this time of landscape. I look forward to the days when I am hauling a crew of 4 out to Grand Junction and Moab for weekends of mountain biking and zipping up I-70 in the fast lane on my way to Beaver Creek for a day of pow.

It's good to meet everyone and I hope to meet some of you on a more personal level as I expand my knowledge of the Forester and it's aftermarket.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The FXT is about the perfect Colorado car - at least within that price range.

It just eats up the I-70 passes - 100+ mph is no problem where most cars are gasping for air.

BTW if you like long fast rocky DH trails, I'm sure you'll love it out here.
I moved here for snowboarding and riding 10 years ago and never regretted it for a minute.

Have fun and good luck finding that XT.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Welcome!

There are so many subarus around here I don't even think there's a stigma. But, maybe that's just me.

For instance, I'm a motorcycle riding fanatic, modified and beat the heck out of my Forester offroad (now back down to stock height), camp a bunch, and I am NOT a hippie or vegetarian. Heck, I'm even a registered Republican. :lol:

So, if there is a stigma, I don't think it fits me! :lol:

Anyways, welcome, enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
Nice Colorado here too. I'm also a mountain biker. Welcome I think you will find the Subi to be perfect for bike trips.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited
1,513 Posts
Welcome! I love Contour SVTs! I've always wanted one. My 04XT felt like a champ going through I-70 from Denver to Utah full of gear. You won't regret it!

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,896 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Congratulations on your pending Forester purchase! As to the stigma that comes along with owning a Subaru. I took a lot of kidding from the guys at work when I inherited my dad's '03X. They stopped kidding when I got rid of my Vortec V6 GMC Jimmy 4X4 & started doing some major MODding on the '03X! :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
176 Posts
Something to look forward to is the Vehicle Dynamic Stability Control (VDC) and Traction Control System (TCS) when upgrading to 2007 and up Subaru Forester models. :) But regardless, Subaru for the win.

Good luck on that buy!

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
At CSU most of the time. How about you? Seems like a lot of Colorado peeps on the forum.

Ditto.
Vary cool i worked on that new dorm that went up last year. I'm over near Mulberry and overland trail.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been here for over two years now and it's a mtn biking mecca as far as I am concerned. So many options in such a small radius. My go to after work ride has become the Chimney Glutch to Apex loop. Cant get enough. I came from Central Ohio where some trails there are still favorites but I've had no problems learning to love the rocky terrain here in Colorado. I put just under 600mi on my Titus this past season and hopefully even more next season.

Is there a fairly active group out here in Denver that will get together for meets, helping one another in the garage etc?

It's great to see so many active Colorado Forester owners.

The FXT is about the perfect Colorado car - at least within that price range.

It just eats up the I-70 passes - 100+ mph is no problem where most cars are gasping for air.

BTW if you like long fast rocky DH trails, I'm sure you'll love it out here.
I moved here for snowboarding and riding 10 years ago and never regretted it for a minute.

Have fun and good luck finding a 5 speed XT.

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
I've been here for over two years now and it's a mtn biking mecca as far as I am concerned. So many options in such a small radius. My go to after work ride has become the Chimney Glutch to Apex loop. Cant get enough. I came from Central Ohio where some trails there are still favorites but I've had no problems learning to love the rocky terrain here in Colorado. I put just under 600mi on my Titus this past season and hopefully even more next season.

Is there a fairly active group out here in Denver that will get together for meets, helping one another in the garage etc?

I moved out here about 5 years ago and I have to say i love it. I'm from philly so its been a big adjustment to learn to ride the trails out here. I still really miss the tight tree covered east cost trails. You should come up here and check out Horse tooth some time. Or if you really want some fun head up to Wyoming and check out Curt Gowdy state park. Trust me its worth the drive north.
I don't know if there is a active Forester owners group here I haven't really been to meet any one off this board yet. But I haven't started doing any mods ether. I know Smash81 was getting some guys to go offroad from time to time.

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Not a very active group when it comes to getting together. There are a few dirty folks that will come out sometimes. A few tuners, but they same to like awdpirates.com (I'm not a fan).

·
Registered
107 Posts

Chimney and apex are both great trails. Did you hear that Jeffco wants to make enchanted forest trail at apex one way, uphill only. :mob:

I'd have to say White Ranch and Bergan Peak are my favorite areas to ride. I like the steep rocky descents for my 6" travel DH tired Reign. :biggrin:

As for group meets, I'm the wrong person to ask. I go to Suba Performance to get my work done. I live inner city and don't have a garage to work on the FXT. I do 99% on the work on my bike and that keeps me busy enough.

BTW nice racer-x. My wife has a Motolite which she loves, not that either of us get to ride much since starting a family.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I started to hear about the uproar concerning Apex at the end of this past season. I will admit, it isn't the safest trail for both bikers and hikers to be on at the same time with all the traffic that place gets and blind turns. I did hear about no shuttling and the potential for a new trail to help spread the bike traffic. I didnt hear about the Enchanted Forest being one way up hill. I've always started from the top, but that sounds a lot less fun. I'm beginning to wonder if mtn bikers didnt have a strong enough presence at the town meetings about all of this.

I definitely share your love for White Ranch, that wasn't always the case when I first moved out here, but late season I got out there a lot and even on a few night rides (which I am quickly learning is a big no-no on most trails in the area).

Thanks for the comment on the Racer X. She's very near and dear to my heart.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dirty folks? Does that refer to people who go off-roading?
I guess I've never been on to classify myself as a tuner but the name alone (awdpirates) makes that group less appealing.

Not a very active group when it comes to getting together. There are a few dirty folks that will come out sometimes. A few tuners, but they same to like awdpirates.com (I'm not a fan).

·
Registered
2003 XS MT
5,484 Posts
Yeah. Once the snow melts I'll get a couple of meets together for those that want to get dirty. No requirements, only do trails a stock Forester can handle. However, I always strongly recommend skid plates!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts