'04
107K miles
auto
black exterior
black interior
pure stock everything
one owner
$10,100. $11,000 after tax and tags

I'm new to Subarus but I'm not that new to turbocharging. I have a turbocharged 03 Miata with a built engine, hydra, GT3071, hydramist, 3" straight pipes etc+++ and hope to see 400whp on the dyno in a month or so. My miata usually hangs out at miataturbo.net

I bought this forester as my DD to slam around the beltway on, pick up rock chips, bird doo doo etc.

Planned mods:

Power

I'll probably be modifying it to what seems to be known as "stage 2.5" or whatever an accessport, 3" exhaust from turbo all the way to the exhaust, and an MBC is. As far as I can go while preserving my tranny and still be able to spit out OBD2 readings and pass MD emissions inspection (OBD2 plus idle sniffer). I want the exhaust to be as quiet as a 3" can be since it's a daily.

Handling
I haven't quite figured out the cheap path to lower and firm up the suspension yet. Is it an STI coilover swap?

Looks
A turbo'd car must have a boost gauge. Going to put a 30hg/20psi gauge in. Going to 5% tint the windows, black out the tail lights, and do something to the front grill so it doesn't look like I'm driving a freakin' Ford.

I hope to meet some of you local guys soon.. cheerz

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,263 Posts
Congrats & welcome to the forum...

joe r

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,340 Posts
Welcome! We have quite a few members from the Balto-Wash-NoVa area. One fewer than before since I moved from Columbia to New Hampshire, but it's back even now that you're here!

For info on what's happening in the area, check the MD, VA, PA thread, now 101 pages long!

Check the maintenance records on your Forester. It would have been due for timing belt replacement 2k miles ago. I had mine done at British American. I trust those people!

·
Registered
03 Miata
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TY very much for the link.

I got the car from Subaru of Annapolis and it was maintained there pretty anally. The timing belt was indeed done thankfully at the 100k maintainence. I wrench but the reality is that I'd probably have to do the job twice to do it right.

I'm still reading around the forum-- would you say this is a polite group? I'm not seeing much infantilism.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,340 Posts
Make sure that Jackie in parts at Annapolis Subaru knows you're a member here. They're one of our supporting vendors, and she's very nice to us.

You got it right - this is a very polite and grown up group here.

Wander through the sticky threads at the top of this forum for more insight into how the place works and how it's set up.

·
luvin' it
2008 Forester Sports XT 5-speed manual
815 Posts
howdy!

welcome and congrats on XT! i used lived in columbia for about two years until i moved to elkridge last summer. we're a friendly group here, so explore the forums and absorb the wealth of information here on our beloved forester. :biggrin:

i routinely cruise the 495 beltway and the Balt./Wash. Parkway to get to work, so if i spot you i'll be sure to wave. i'm also regularly cruising along routes 100 and 175. i'm the asian guy in the world rally blue forester sports xt. :Banane17:

·
Registered
03 Miata
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Is this the place to look for meets?

I wrench a lot on my Miata. If anyone in the area needs an engine hoist I can come on by. The EJ25 motor is new to me- I'm used to inline 4s :)

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,014 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Niagara Falls!
Your suspension options vary by how low you want the car... STi coilovers meant for the WRX STi will make you a lot lower. You may just want some of the Forester specific coilovers, or even a complete set of WRX or STi take off struts and springs.
Just remember that the only STi suspension that won't fit are the 05+ strut bodies.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts