Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I recently picked up a 98 Forester L for my girlfriend. She trusted me to check it out, and I failed miserably. Turns out the odometer was swapped and it has serious engine problems (rod knock, head gaskets) anyway I'm trying to help her out with it. Suggestions welcome. I have a 99 legacy outback I bought for parts for my 98 legacy outback. Could I use the engine from it, do head gaskets, and timing belt, water pump and throw it in the 98 Subaru? If not would it make sense to rebuild the engine?

Thanks everyone,

Brett

·
Registered
2003 Forester X 5 MT
522 Posts
Rebuilding Subaru engines is not for the faint at heart, definitely not like a Ford or Chevy V8. Engine swap is probably the easiest. IIRC the 98 Forester had the EJ25D engine like the 99 Legacy Outback so a swap should work (if they are both DOHC EJ25D engines).

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring CVT
236 Posts
Rebuilding Subaru engines is not for the faint at heart, definitely not like a Ford or Chevy V8. Engine swap is probably the easiest. IIRC the 98 Forester had the EJ25D engine like the 99 Legacy Outback so a swap should work (if they are both DOHC EJ25D engines).
agreed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the help! I'm curious though. I thought I saw somewhere that between 98-99 on the 2.5L they went from a 4 bolt to an 8 bolt bell? Not sure but even so, I assume I could swap eng/trans both and be okay. Provided the computer still has all the sensors it needs correct?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks so much for the help! I'm curious though. I thought I saw somewhere that between 98-99 on the 2.5L they went from a 4 bolt to an 8 bolt bell? Not sure but even so, I assume I could swap eng/trans both and be okay. Provided the computer still has all the sensors it needs correct?
To contradict Miker104:

There's plenty of tutorials/guides on youtube to rebuilding your EJ25 if you do decide to go that route. It's really not that complicated when you're following a step-by-step guide the only way to **** it up is if you skip steps or can't listen. Label everything and torque everything to spec. That's what I'm doing to my EJ251 just for fun later this winter/early spring and I have no previous experience working on engines.

I know people who can rip out my motor in less than an hour from start to finish. Once you're there you take off a few bolts and pulleys/belts and finish within an hour it's really not that complicated lol.

I'm talking about the 2.5 EJ25 btw I know nothing about the EJ20.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can pay $2-3k for a used engine with no guarantees + the labor to swap it in.

Or you can buy the parts to fix your motor for under $500 and pay some dikhead $1500 for the labor.
or do the work yourself for free and invest in the tools if you don't have them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts