Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Ford F150
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on purchasing a Forester within the next few weeks and very excited about it!

The car will be used in Idaho on dirt roads (for fishing) as well as for paved mountain driving (for skiing).

Would it be better to have an XT for these types of driving as well as ordinary driving at Boise's elevation of approximately 2800 feet?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Welcome, hope we can help you out with some input.
Some things that would be helpful to know are 'how would you currently describe your daily drivng?' Do you like spirited driving and are already considering some mods to suite your style of driving or improving the looks and handling of the Forester, then the XT might be the place to start. But if it's going to be your daily driver to and from work/school with the fishing and sking as the weekend excitement, then the N/A motor should suffice. You can make some simple handling improvements starting with better tires than what comes on the Forester.
Age really doesn't matter unless insurance costs are a great concern.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT 4EAT
2,265 Posts
I second what Good Dog said. If you want some fun driving and really want the extra power (and don't mind the extra cost of premium unleaded) then go for the XT.
If those don't matter to you all that much, stay with the NA engine. Either way you choose, you're going to win because IMHO you're getting one of the best vehicles on the market.

·
Registered
2003 Ford F150
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input

Welcome, hope we can help you out with some input.
Some things that would be helpful to know are 'how would you currently describe your daily drivng?' Do you like spirited driving and are already considering some mods to suite your style of driving or improving the looks and handling of the Forester, then the XT might be the place to start. But if it's going to be your daily driver to and from work/school with the fishing and sking as the weekend excitement, then the N/A motor should suffice. You can make some simple handling improvements starting with better tires than what comes on the Forester.
Age really doesn't matter unless insurance costs are a great concern.
I will be purchasing a new Forester (2010) and it would be my daily driver. I'm retired, however, so I don't do any regular daily driving, and the fishing/skiing trips would be more often than occasional weekend adventures (hopefully). I'm not looking to change the looks or add any mods to the car because it looks like I can get the all the "bells and whistles" I want in a car off the lot. I enjoy a car with some "spirit" but I'm not an aggressive driver.

I was mainly curious about the performance of the turbo vs. the N/A engine at that elevation and in those driving conditions.

Thanks to all for your input

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,830 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Oregon! :biggrin:

Good luck on your Forester search. The higher the elevation the less power you'll get from an N/A engine, so you might consider an XT. If you're looking to keep the cost down, a nonturbo may be your best choice. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts