Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finally got a Subby!

Our old car was getting long in the tooth with a few imminent issues and the New/Used auto market is truly depressing when looking for an affordable station wagon these days, esp one with about 200hp/tq, a manual transmission, and the power going to the appropriate wheels. Of course, that points to a very hard to find LGT or FXT MT. My Wife never liked the LGT (or even the Outback) as much as I lusted for one, esp the seating position. I know. . . I don't understand it either. :catfight: Haha!

I even tried to push a Jetta sportwagen TDi MT, but she didn't bond with it.

As it was my Wife's choice since I have my dream garage (two motorcycles), she really dug the 2014 FXT Touring, which came highly recommended by friends and acquaintances.

Given the late stage of the year, a local dealer went above and beyond to find us one. It had everything but the wishlist color (Marine Blue). Our back up was Dark Grey, which is quite striking. We just wanted something not earthy this time around.

Anyway, I'm impressed with the amount of info already covered for this new model. I gotta say, the Owners Manual doesn't contain nearly enough powertrain info. This site has filled me in, mostly. Still trying to figure out what's behind the scenes with the awd system and x-drive.

Finally, as much as I loathe (loathe!) automatic transmissions, the CVT really suites turbo motors. Our previous turbos were mated to MTs and I went through some effort to decrease the lag. The FXT is on boost immediately and the CVT holds it at a nice RPM. Something very different than the Murano rental that I had once. BTW, I've seen up to 20psi displayed for a very short period of time. This thing is fun on on-ramps.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I'd love to, but at this point it's just like any other dark grey FXT. And, I've been barred from messing with it. =P

I do like the optional grill on yours. There is a bit too much shiny up front.

We will snag the Class III hitch and harness from etrailer.com in the spring. We need the 2in hitch to work with our existing bike rack and receiver ball. We have a little Harbor Freight fold up trailer that gets some very rare use.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
286 Posts
Thanks!

I'd love to, but at this point it's just like any other dark grey FXT. And, I've been barred from messing with it. =P

I do like the optional grill on yours. There is a bit too much shiny up front.

We will snag the Class III hitch and harness from etrailer.com in the spring. We need the 2in hitch to work with our existing bike rack and receiver ball. We have a little Harbor Freight fold up trailer that gets some very rare use.

Have a good one.
I just plasti-dipped the grill...yea I think it looks better without the chrome.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow. It looks great in your avatar.

A close up would be good to see.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Doug.

The grille looks amazing. I am going to, umm, ask permission. Did you scuff the surface prior to painting?

Also, I saw that you installed the Curt hitch. Can you snap a pic of that? Our previous cars had custom welded 2in hitches installed, all because I mistakenly bought a bike rack with a 2in receiver. In the end, the custom hitches did cost much less than the OEM Class II parts.

On one car, the hitch was hidden very well, but the other it was a bit of a sore thumb. The Curt Forester hitch looks like it splits the difference, but it'd be nice to see one mounted.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No worries on the pic. I found a good one in your flickr album. Thanks again.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn! I got shot down. Not even enough time to eject. It was a total crash and burn.

It may be time to ask for forgiveness. =P I bet she won't even notice. Muwahahaha!

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! It's been very informative so far.

Have a good one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts