·
Registered
2005 FXT
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the new wheels on today!

18x9 rota g-force (gold)
255/35/18 Yokohama Advan S4's

I just need to do a minor fender roll in the rear.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Lookin good...I love the looks of my 18x9, and think our cars look sooo much better with this size.
Guessing offset is 35-38, allowing you to not run rear spacers, or you on c/o's?

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
surpisingly its doesnt look flush @ all, which is crazy w/ that offset. maybe its just the angle of the photos?? are you running serious negative camber all around? and kudos to you for not using stretched tires!

·
Registered
2005 FXT
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm on d2 coilovers with about -2.5 front and rear camber. They are 35mm offset, I would never run spacers on anything I own.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks Awesome... I have those same wheels in gunmetal, just sitting in my garage waiting to be put on.

Thumbs UP!

Also, how do the d2's ride? what spring rates and dampening setting are you on?

One more thing.. What grill is that? It looks badass

·
Registered
2005 FXT
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, how do the d2's ride? what spring rates and dampening setting are you on?

One more thing.. What grill is that? It looks badass

The d2's actually ride smoother and better than the 04 sti takeoffs i had on the car. The only time it rides worse is over an abrupt drop in the road then you can tell they are a bit stiffer. I have owned HKS hypermax II's, JIC flta2's, KW v1's, and Eibach coilovers. I would say quality is on par with the kw/eibach base offerings. The teflon coated bodies are a nice plus in michigan also.

I never track my car so I wasn't to worried about the handling improvements a $1500+ coilover would offer. I took a risk on the d2's and so far I couldn't be happier.

I have the dampening set to the middle stiffness. I am not 100% sure on the spring rates. I'll have to check on the spring. I know there is a stamp on it with the spring rate.

The grill is the home built/modified stock grill.

Search "grill mod" on here and there will be a few threads explaining how to do it. Just have patience when doing it, it takes some time to do well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The d2's actually ride smoother and better than the 04 sti takeoffs i had on the car. The only time it rides worse is over an abrupt drop in the road then you can tell they are a bit stiffer. I have owned HKS hypermax II's, JIC flta2's, KW v1's, and Eibach coilovers. I would say quality is on par with the kw/eibach base offerings. The teflon coated bodies are a nice plus in michigan also.

I never track my car so I wasn't to worried about the handling improvements a $1500+ coilover would offer. I took a risk on the d2's and so far I couldn't be happier.

I have the dampening set to the middle stiffness. I am not 100% sure on the spring rates. I'll have to check on the spring. I know there is a stamp on it with the spring rate.

The grill is the home built/modified stock grill.

Search "grill mod" on here and there will be a few threads explaining how to do it. Just have patience when doing it, it takes some time to do well.

Thanks for the quick reply... I'll check out that grill mod, and if its not to much work to find out the spring rates then I would love to know. I figured for what I can get them for its worth the gamble.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Big ups to the OP for going 18x9..lets not stray from the fact that not many people are willing to do coils, roll/pull, spacers, etc. All the cliches aside, lets admit that a larger & wider rim looks great..BUT DOES require proper planning, and work to function properly.

Grand finale of this whole dumb bent rim/knock off bs..:crazy:

EVERYONE should have 2 sets of wheels/tires, unless you live in a apartment with no garage, or would rather spending $$$ on replacing your one set that you use year round for race/snow/canyon/etc.

Save your dough, and buy a few sets of rotas! Are you johnny JDM that wont roll on anything than $3k volks...great!!! I wont see you at the track/rally-auto-x, or local ski hill....but DAMN you have nice wheels!!!

Lately there have been quite more options as far as size/offset/finishes offered from a variety of companies. Keep in mind that wheels are a "wear" item..similar to tennis shoes, snow/skate/surf boards...AKA: built to be used & abused!!!! Won't track or go down a dirt trail b/c you are skurred of bending a rim...? = you FAIL

Frilla...keep your pictures in your personal pic file.
We all know that tire size is...well...ellza important. Example..you live in NY or Colorado and have rutted/potholed roads and running 35 series..have a back up rim...not b/c it is a rota, but you are running wrong size tires and bound to bend a rim, or chip a tooth.

Who wants some 18x9.5 +35 flat gunmetal black grids...PM me!!! EDIT:Trying to get 3 people for group buy.

No you wont die from wheel spacers, blown bearings, or bent rims...but YES, some work will need to be done.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
oh man, major ninja edit in here. oh well better off that way then spreading misinformation BS!
Yes... anyone who wants to discuss the integrity of Rota wheels can do so here instead of jacking someone's gallery thread. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
Got the new wheels on today!
Looks great! finally getting some aggressive wheels around here, aooreciate the work you put in to make them fit as well, the gold is the icing on the cake.

herrafrush :biggrin: first thing I think of everytime I see h-e-ll-a-anything..

oh man, major ninja edit in here. oh well better off that way then spreading misinformation BS!
all I see is smoke in here... guess I was too late..

Yes... anyone who wants to discuss the integrity of Rota wheels can do so here instead of jacking someone's gallery thread. :biggrin:
oi see.. thanks for cleaning that up Silke..

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
I've never been a big fan of the "hellaflush" look, but your offset and the fact your running a 255 makes it look damn good! I think it is more the the strtched tire thing that bugs me, and your tires are are perfect match for your wheel width. WELL DONE!

Plus you can't beat black on gold!

·
Registered
2008 XT Limited 4EAT
414 Posts
love it! my coilovers will be here hopefully in a week. wheels, that's a different story. those 18x9.5 grids are quite tempting.

·
Registered
2005 FXT
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anything over 9 inches with a decent drop will require significant rolling/pulling on the forester. These wheels barely fit. I'm glad I didn't go with 18x9.5 grids.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Anything over 9 inches with a decent drop will require significant rolling/pulling on the forester. These wheels barely fit. I'm glad I didn't go with 18x9.5 grids.
Why are you glad you didn't go with the grid?

·
Registered
2005 FXT
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Due to how close these are to not fitting. Anything wider will need some significant fender work or even more camber I'm running. The grid in the wider size looks amazing but for a 1/2 inch wider wheel it wouldn't be worth it to me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts