Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered a Helix Catback from vividracing about 3 months ago and then I read abou them on the site. So it ended up being that I canceled the order today because they keep telling me it will be here in two weeks, so they told me yesterday that it will be here in two weeks and I said thats enough and cancelled it. Went down to Norm Reeves Subaru and bought this today and came home and installed it in about 1 hour ( first exhaust installed think I did well :banana: )

Here it is: :banana: :banana:

Before :

After :

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha no i picked it up around 5:30 got home at 6 and cleaned up around 7:30 ish ... so it got dark as i went on

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
only problem is, is that it is touching the bumper just a tad. i want to get some longer hangers and hope that fixes the problem

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes its for the STi and its 3 in ... and yes its loud ... only when pressing the gas alot other then that it has a nice purr to it

·
Recovering Modaholic
1,304 Posts
you need to get longer hangers and maybe even lengthen the axleback section if you dont want your bumper burnt.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Fishdizzle said:
only problem is, is that it is touching the bumper just a tad. i want to get some longer hangers and hope that fixes the problem
Before spending money on the longer hangers, push up on the bumper until it bottoms out in the underlying beam and see if there is enough clearance for you. You should be able to get another 1/2" when you do this. If you are happy with that clearance, then:

- remove you muffler
- go to your local hardware and purchase a small STAINLESS STEEL countersunk sheetmetal screw.
- drill a small hole through the plastic bumper and through the underlying aluminum beam. Make sure drill is smaller than the counter screw. Make sure you don't miss the underlying beam.
- screw in the countersink and re-install your muffler.
- walla - clearance for under a buck.

This is what I did. Good luck.

Edit - I just noticed on one of your pix that the tip is not anywhere near the center of the bumper cutout. The fix I mentioned above may not solve your problem afterall. It looks like you may have more problems than just a rubbing on the bumper. Could the flange be possibly hitting your rear diff protector? Using the longer hangers will give you a looser fit/support at the muffler and may cause the whole catback to swing left and right causing the flange to hit the adjacent structure. It also looks like you have to get your tip lengthened. I used a strap wrapped around the forward axelback hanger to the driver's side swaybar arm to keep the flange from hitting during hard manuevers. Although, my tip is centered on the bumper cutout. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5MT
820 Posts
Fishdizzle said:
Heh. Thought you were gonna say you "installed" it in the rear cargo area for now. ;) Looks good, though. Can you post a sound clip? :Banane29:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It fits much better no ... removed the rear diff protector got new hangers and now it fits just about as perfect as it is going to i willpost sound clips later today.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
Fishdizzle said:
It fits much better no ... removed the rear diff protector got new hangers and now it fits just about as perfect as it is going to i willpost sound clips later today.
Oh, can you post sound clips w/ and w/o the silencer installed...thanks.:wink:

Oh, if possible can you find a decibel meter and find out the decibel range from idle to WOT w/ and w/o the silencer...reason being is that I would love to have a full Helix exhaust but the new exhaust laws going into place in my area are limiting the noise to 95db...some of the exhausts do that just idling.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can do the photos and sound clip ... i would have to find someone with a decibel meter or find one cheap but ill look

1 - 20 of 42 Posts