Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 forester gls
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
defrost me car, previous owner told me he had topped up all the levels, but didnt tell me he had just used water,git,
:tissue:

·
Registered
2003 XS
176 Posts
Tow it to a garage and let it thaw. Then, drain the water and replace with 50/50 coolant/water mix. Don't start the car with a frozen water pump. It could throw off your timing belt and cause engine damage.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Get it to a heated garage/shop and let it thaw. If it has block heater that can be plugged in also to help speed up the thawing. A block heater alone will not thaw out the engine however.

Agreed trying to start it would be a huge no no that could be costly.

·
Registered
1999 forester gls
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tow it to a garage and let it thaw. Then, drain the water and replace with 50/50 coolant/water mix. Don't start the car with a frozen water pump. It could throw off your timing belt and cause engine damage.

Mark
cheers dude, only problem is i tryed to start it fired up on ,what sounded like two cylinders for about 5 seconds then stopped,then found out it was frozen...

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
The previous owner must be somewhat retarded to fill up only water as coolant if you live in a area where it get below zero degrees celcius.
Still try to get it heated and get it checked up before starting it again.

·
Registered
2003 XS
176 Posts
I hate to be a doomsayer, but that doesn't sound good, mate. It's possible that you broke your timing belt. I'd get it into a garage, thaw it out, pull the timing belt covers, and inspect the belt before turning it over again.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
I hate to be a doomsayer, but that doesn't sound good, mate. It's possible that you broke your timing belt. I'd get it into a garage, thaw it out, pull the timing belt covers, and inspect the belt before turning it over again.

Mark

Even this is a better out come then the worst case scenario. A frozen cooling system can crack the engine block, heads, radiator, heater core....

As it thaws watch for leaks. :icon_sad::tissue:

·
Registered
07 fxt
396 Posts
Even this is a better out come then the worst case scenario. A frozen cooling system can crack the engine block, heads, radiator, heater core....

As it thaws watch for leaks. :icon_sad::tissue:
thats what i was just gonna say.
broken timing belt would be the least of your worries.
i cracked a block on malibu when i was 15 lol. the freeze plugs didnt even blow it just straight up cracked teh block

1 - 12 of 12 Posts