1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Accord Auto
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Curiosity...

I've read on forums that in the Outback's heat is a problem on Outback 2.5 Premium models, that the heater doesn't work well. I was wondering if the 2.5 Premium Forester had the same issue. I also have a toddler is riding along in the car too, so I need a car with good heat for his safety.

Will likely be in the market this spring for a 2.5 Premium, either Forester or Outback.

Comments, please!

Thanks.

Gary

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem 6sp Manual
802 Posts
Hi,

Curiosity...

I've read on forums that in the Outback's heat is a problem on Outback 2.5 Premium models, that the heater doesn't work well. I was wondering if the 2.5 Premium Forester had the same issue. I also have a toddler is riding along in the car too, so I need a car with good heat for his safety.

Will likely be in the market this spring for a 2.5 Premium, either Forester or Outback.

Comments, please!

Thanks.

Gary
Hi Gary,
I'm far from the polar vortex up north, but here in the mountains of AZ it gets pretty chilly. We've been on the road in our new Foz when the temperature was in the 20's and 30's many times this winter and the heater has worked as well as any other vehicle I've ever owned. No complaints at all.
Hope this helps.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium CVT
66 Posts
Here in Boston, my 2.5i Premium heats up the cabin fine in weather down to the teens. My only niggle is that front seat footwells feel a little cooler than the rest of the cabin - the bottom vent could stand to be positioned a little deeper in the well. But the cabin in general feels nice a toasty.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
320 Posts
  • I have kids in the back and they keep complaining that they are cold until I start sweating in a front since all the hot air has to pass over me first.
  • It takes some time (few miles) before heat comes on.
  • Recirc button is almost useless in winter as windows start foging up almost immediately when it's on.
  • Fan noise on the premium is quite loud past 1st setting.

In other words, I don't like heating performance in the Premium trim. Touring and Limited have better controls and 7 speed fan which perhaps alleviate some of the issues I listed.

·
Registered
2016 Impeza 5 speed
111 Posts
I have 14 premium and a 2011 Outback both heat well in Connecticut. No rear vents but after 10 minutes of driving its fine.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 6-speed manual
111 Posts
  • Recirc button is almost useless in winter as windows start foging up almost immediately when it's on.

Recirc button is not meant to be used in the winter, all it will do is recirculate any humidity already in the cabin, and that's why the windows fog up. This is true for any make of car. Recirc. is designed to recirculate the cold air when the A/C is on in the warmer months.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have 14 premium and a 2011 Outback both heat well in Connecticut. No rear vents but after 10 minutes of driving its fine.
As far as I know, all the newer Subarus do have rear vents under the front seats to warm rear passenger's toes, they just don't have them on the rear of the console like some makes do. Look under the the rear of the front seats.

·
Registered
2019 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6AT
541 Posts
I had a 2001 Xterra before the Forester and it had a much more powerful heater. I was always toasty warm in that vehicle, even in subzero temps.

The Forester's heater is not terrible, but it definitely feels a little under powered. The defroster on the other hand is fantastic!

·
Registered
2014 Forester AT
4 Posts
I had a 2001 Xterra before the Forester and it had a much more powerful heater. I was always toasty warm in that vehicle, even in subzero temps.

The Forester's heater is not terrible, but it definitely feels a little under powered. The defroster on the other hand is fantastic!
I agree. it feel its a little under powered compared to other cars i have owned. as a side note, I have a 14' touring and notice there are vents under the seat pointing toward the back. Does the other trim levels have this? I checked and seems to be very little flow exiting these vents.
I wish it was installed in on the back of the armrest instead, but I'm being picky and overall passengers I had were comfortable.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
228 Posts
The heat's fine if you don't mind the floor heat hitting your knees. If I could aim it downward I'd probably like it a lot more.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
124 Posts
10 days with mine and I can say it is better than the 2001 Forester it replaced. Not as fast to warm or as hot as our 2002 4 cyl. base model Honda Civic, but it is adequate. Wouldn't brag about it.

By using what I believe to be common sense settings it gets the job done so far.

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
Recirc button is not meant to be used in the winter, all it will do is recirculate any humidity already in the cabin, and that's why the windows fog up. This is true for any make of car. Recirc. is designed to recirculate the cold air when the A/C is on in the warmer months.
Not true at all. I use it for fast warmups. Use the RECIRCULATE feature, it works in winter. It is easier to warm up air that is already warm than trying to heat up extremely cold air from the outside.

It takes a pretty long time for any window fogging. When it does happen it is very minimal on the bottom of the windshield and on the side front windows. All you do is turn off RECIRCULATE if it bothers you and run your defroster for a minute. By that time the vehicle should be warm enough that you don't need to use the RECIRC feature.

Don't believe the BS that RECIRCULATE is only to be used in summer.

Warming up already heated air is a lot faster than trying to heat up cold outside air. Common sense will tell you that.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 6M
106 Posts
CT resident here, been enjoying the single digit numbers the past week or so.

I leave my work at around midnight most nights so you can imagine it's pretty cold, usually.

My experience with the heat is this:

0-10F: I let the car idle for 5-10 minutes to get up to 100F oil temp or higher. I usually leave it locked and running with the fan at 4 and heat/rear window defrosters on. Car is always comfortable when I get in it. If it's only been running for 5 minutes, car isn't what I'd call "hot", but is still very tolerable, especially with my winter clothes on.

10-20F: Car is very warm when I get in it if I let it idle for 5 minutes before hand. Car takes between 3 to 5 minutes to warm up the cabin if I don't let it idle first, depending if I'm climbing the hills of New England when leaving my location or not.

20F+: Car is comfortably warm within a few minutes of letting the engine run, be it idling or driving. Car doesn't need the heat on to be comfortable if it's sitting in the sun before this time.

For reference, I'm a lean individual, so I don't carry to much natural insulation.

I have no idea how warm the back seats get, or in what time frame.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,713 Posts
I would highly disagree. Winters are very dry and unless the air is very moist like in a heavy snow. Recirc is almost never a problem. And its not just on forester its on any car.

If for some reason it fogs up then either take it on recirc or put on the defrost.

Based on what I see on this board the newer subaru's with the FB engine don't produce the heat of those with the EJ

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Lim CVT
282 Posts
I tried recirc yesterday to test it out, and within 2 minutes, the side windows were completely fogged and the windshield was starting to fog.

I had never tried it before, and will probably not try again. I am glad it works for others, but it is definitely not a myth.

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
I tried recirc yesterday to test it out, and within 2 minutes, the side windows were completely fogged and the windshield was starting to fog.

I had never tried it before, and will probably not try again. I am glad it works for others, but it is definitely not a myth.

You got a lot of moist air circulating around in your vehicle. Are you a heavy breather? Not joking or being funny. I have noticed that if you have many people in the vehicle talking and gabbing away, the windows will fog up just from their breath.

I do NOT have the fogging issue so bad that I cannot use the RECIRCULATE mode. I get slight fogging at the bottom of the windshield and side windows ONLY after the vehicle is warmed up enough that I can either lower the fan setting or turn off the recirculate mode, either will stop the slight fogging.

Normally in winter the air is very dry, maybe try leaving a window cracked opened a bit when you exit the vehicle to rid it of the moist air inside.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,713 Posts

I wonder if your evaporator has its drain hose plugged. Find the drain hose and stick a smaller hose up it .

·
Registered
111 Posts
You got a lot of moist air circulating around in your vehicle. Are you a heavy breather? Not joking or being funny. I have noticed that if you have many people in the vehicle talking and gabbing away, the windows will fog up just from their breath.

I do NOT have the fogging issue so bad that I cannot use the RECIRCULATE mode. I get slight fogging at the bottom of the windshield and side windows ONLY after the vehicle is warmed up enough that I can either lower the fan setting or turn off the recirculate mode, either will stop the slight fogging.

Normally in winter the air is very dry, maybe try leaving a window cracked opened a bit when you exit the vehicle to rid it of the moist air inside.
There is snow on the ground for 5-6 months of the year where I live. Just the stuff you track in on your shoes is enough to introduce enough humidity in the cabin for the windows to fog up, even with the recirc. button off.

I know when I turn the recirc. button on in my Legacy to block out diesel fumes in the winter, the heat notably degrades, so I don't think using the recirc. button will warm the cabin faster, quite the opposite...

From the owner's manual:

"Press the
air inlet selection button [Recirc] to the ON position
for fast cooling with the air conditioner or
when driving on a dusty road." (that's my underline added)

It doesn't mention any other conditions it should be used in. But, if you think there's some benefit to using it in the winter, have at it.

·
Registered
2011 2.5XP/AWP 4EAT
436 Posts
Have no problems with the heat in my '11 Premium. Left our cabin the other night (10:45pm, 17F, wind chill I'm guessing at or slightly above 0F). Car had been sitting for two miserable days. I let it run for about 3 minutes, till it idled down to about 1500 rpm. By the time I got to the end of our driveway (1/2 mile @ 20-25 mph) the heater was blowing hot. This is much quicker than my '03's heater would warm up.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts