Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1999 (UKDM) S-Turbo (LT) 4EAT
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm assuming that Subaru don't make the screen washer jets themselves and therefore they are an item fitted to another make of vehicle (rather like the MAF sensor on my SF Fozzy is also a Nissan part I believe).

So my question is...

Does anyone know if another make of vehicle (available in the UK) uses the same fitting of washer jets?

I'd quite like to modify mine so that when I turn on the front screen wiper blade deicer it also turns on heated washer jets. All I need to do is find out what other make and model has these size jets and find some heated ones from one of their top of the range models (hoping that they exist). Just hook it up to a relay switched by the front screen deicer switch and bob's my uncle.

·
Registered
2005 XTEn Auto
1,139 Posts
My much loved Omega Elite 3L had heated washer nozzles. They were mounted on the bonnet so may be a possiblity if necessary with a bit of filing.

Max.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
Heated washer nozzles are pointless unless the water itself is heated in my experience. Just putting a finger on the end of them before getting in the car will have the same effect. Obviously you can't do this while going along if they refreeze though :crazy:

The only car of mine that actually worked was my last one - the mercedes S500L (W220) that had a heating element in the washer water bottle, as well as heated nozzles. The water delivery pipe was double thick too to prevent freezing. Oh and the windcreen was heated, as were the seats, the steering wheel etc etc.........

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
If you use a decent screenwash it won't freeze in the bottle or line, it will freeze at the washers as the anti-freeze component evaportaes out (that is why scandinavian cars have heated washers but no need of heated bottles/pipes) Saabs and Ovlovs probably have them, I know later model Rover's (even 200's) did, and yes taking the power feed from the heated screen or rear window would seem sensible.

Simon

·
Registered
2000 S-Turbo
63 Posts
A number of BMW's also came with the option of heated jets and I know you can buy these separately. A good mod for the Forester IMO, especially in this weather!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never had a bottle or pipe freeze with a correct mix of additive but I have had jets freeze whilst driving. My 80's Audi 200 had heated jets and they worked a treat.

Getting hold of heated jets for other makes doesn't seem to be a problem as there are always some on ebay but what I want to know is what will fit my Foz without resorting to tin snips.

From carrying out further searches I have a possible lead. Someone on scoobynet mentioned that he fitted Citroen jets (though not heated) to his Impreza, following on from there I found that Citroen Xsara jets fit Rover 200 and 600 and further that there is a mod for fitting MGTF heated jets to a 600 so in a roundabout way I have a lead. Presuming that Impreza jets are the same as Foz jets, once I've established which scrapped citroen the scoobynet poster removed his from then I can progress.

In the mean time, if anyone can help with info of jets (heated or otherwise) that fit without cutting the bonnet, please post here.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
technically if the heads froze, then your mix wasn't adequate...
ditch the "summer" fluid and spring for some Canadian-spec stuff.
Thanks but...

a: read Rookie's post #4
b: read my last post
c: Perhaps you could explain what Canadian spec is for me here in England

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
I read the posts... and Canadian-spec is rated to -40 or colder.
I've never had a washer nozzle head freeze since switching fluids over.

knock yourself out with the heated jets though, I'm just saying you shouldn't need them with the right fluid. You can ignore my posts if you'd prefer.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I read the posts... and Canadian-spec is rated to -40 or colder.
I've never had a washer nozzle head freeze since switching fluids over.

knock yourself out with the heated jets though, I'm just saying you shouldn't need them with the right fluid. You can ignore my posts if you'd prefer.
I didn't intend to upset you but the words Canadian spec don't really mean much to me living in England unless you elaborate on what it is and what it contains for comparison purposes with what's available here. It means as much to me as me asking you if it is the same as Higginbotham's spec.

Regards heated jets, perhaps because of the nature of our cold temperatures being warmer than yours (typically warmer than -10°C) and it's higher humidity, maybe it affects the jets differently from what you experience in Canada. Many European cars are fitted with heated jets so they must be doing it for a reason. From my previous experience they certainly work, hence my quest.

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
'Canadian spec' quite possibly contains 'stuff' not legal to sell here for example.......

Remember a strry from a mate at work who was testing in International falls and left a bottle of screenwash by the car overnight by mistake after topping up, next mornning it was empty - with lipstick marks around the bottle neck.....YUCK

Simon

·
Registered
2004 2.0 XT MT
67 Posts
During my years in Tromsø, Northern Norway (way, way north of the Arctic Circle), we used to pour denaturated alcohol ("rødsprit") in the washer fluid during winter, to improve its anti-freezing capabilities. Another not uncommon trick was to replace the nozzle tubes with something long enough to allow a few turns around the radiator hose. A bit McGyverish, but it worked. The main problem, the way I remember it, was not that the fluid froze in the nozzles, but that it turned to ice as it hit the windscreen.

·
Registered
2014 Audi S4 Black Ed Semi auto
439 Posts
Another not uncommon trick was to replace the nozzle tubes with something long enough to allow a few turns around the radiator hose.
I have been doing this for about 20 years. You get warm water on your windcreen once the engine warms up.

My jets still froze the other day though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts