Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD 4 speed Auto
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing so many manufacturers(not only luxury brands)now offering heated steering wheels, anybody else wish that Subaru included this with their AWP?
We had a month of very cold weather here with temperatures dipping down to -51C with windchill and heated steering wheel would have been sweet. I thought this was a gimmick option until I test drove the new Cherokee which had a heated steering wheel and believe me, it certainly changed my mind.

Cherokee cold weather package here in Canada includes the following: heated mirrors, heated seats, heated windshield, heated steering wheel and remote start for $700.00. Very reasonable price, so wouldn't cost Subaru alot to implement in their lineup. Anybody else like to see a heated steering wheel as well?

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT Sport 4EAT
1,663 Posts
I actually have thought about doing a retrofit. Get an old BMW/Mercedes/Cadillac heated steering wheel for parts, and transfer them over.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
252 Posts
I must admit a week or so ago when it was -45F with the wind chill I said to myself "My butt is starting to be warmed already even after only one minute in the heated seat. It sure would be nice if this thing had a heated steering wheel to warm my frozen hands".

Nick

·
Registered
323 Posts
You'd have to find a way to get high current through the clock spring. It's simply not an every day DIY mod.

They are great, I love using the feature, but I always have a cheap pair of 2$ gloves in every jacket so it negates the need lol.

·
Registered
2015 XT-P
640 Posts
I must admit a week or so ago when it was -45F with the wind chill I said to myself "My butt is starting to be warmed already even after only one minute in the heated seat. It sure would be nice if this thing had a heated steering wheel to warm my frozen hands".

Nick
Here you go: Electrically heated gloves:
Ultra Light Glove - Collection | Gerbing Thermovelocity Protection

I use higher grade Gerbing gloves, jacket and pants liners on my bike and waverunner, the gloves would work fine in your car and solve the issue easily for you.

If the stories of a weak heater prove true, I will wire a plug in the console to use my Gerbing jacket and maybe gloves too.

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
252 Posts
Lol, you bought a Subaru not a Mercedes...

[/url]
lmao... so so true. :)

Funny, I have a 18 year old German sports car that has heated seats. I didn't even know cars had heated seats in 1995. That's how I got spoiled by the heated seats! they became a MUST HAVE in the Forester. lol

Nick

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i CVT
320 Posts
lmao... so so true. :)

Funny, I have a 18 year old German sports car that has heated seats. I didn't even know cars had heated seats in 1995. That's how I got spoiled by the heated seats! they became a MUST HAVE in the Forester. lol

Nick
Subaru's 2015 All Weather Package: heated seats, heated washer nozzle, mirrors and...gloves. :woohoo:

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
168 Posts
Might as well make it air conditioned too for those very hot days.......
Air conditioned seats would be better :icon_biggrin:

I expect a heated wheel on a 130K German car. Not on a 25K Subaru. The heated seats are more than I expected at this price point.

In all honesty, the AWD system in the Forester was "All Weather Package" enough for me.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,255 Posts
Our BMW 530xi wagon (E61) is fitted with a heated steering wheel. I originally found it to fall into the "You Must Be Kidding" category of luxury features, but, as I age and notice reduced dexterity in my fingers when they're cold, I quickly found it easy to appreciate, especially on winter days.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
975 Posts
Having just survived a week of temperatures over 40°C/104°F, peaking at 46.3°C/115°F, I want a refrigerated steering wheel.

·
Registered
2009 Forester Auto
169 Posts
Heated steering wheel would be a great option! In ga so cold weather usually doesn't hit us that hard. I'm wanting remote start. Plus automatic climate control. Id be a happy man!

·
Registered
2008 na autonaturopath
40 Posts
i use cheapo 20 bux steering wheel cover from autozone... it makes the steering larger beefer..

without it.. the steering wheel feels too small and naked...

also, i use leather gloves... wearing black gloves looks cooler too

we get -50 celcius with wind factor here too. having gloves is handy when you have to do something outside of the vehicle...like removing the snow real quick or somehing.

plus i would never trade a forester for a cherookee... the forester is a much more reliable car with a better transmission and it´s a subaru. a much better 4x4 than cherookee

but i agree that more gadgets is always welcome

·
Registered
2012 Outback CVT
10 Posts
Air conditioned seats would be better :icon_biggrin:

I expect a heated wheel on a 130K German car. Not on a 25K Subaru. The heated seats are more than I expected at this price point.

In all honesty, the AWD system in the Forester was "All Weather Package" enough for me.
dude dodge and kia have models w/ heated steering wheel. Subaru should put heated steering wheel on the limited trims at least.

When the wx get below 0 I have to pre-heat the car for 20+ minutes for the steering wheel to not be ice cold. When you don't have the time to do that it would be nice to not have to wear gloves when driving. Subaru are you listening add the heating steering wheel to your cold wx package!

·
Registered
2012 Outback CVT
10 Posts
i use cheapo 20 bux steering wheel cover from autozone... it makes the steering larger beefer..

without it.. the steering wheel feels too small and naked...

also, i use leather gloves... wearing black gloves looks cooler too

we get -50 celcius with wind factor here too. having gloves is handy when you have to do something outside of the vehicle...like removing the snow real quick or somehing.

plus i would never trade a forester for a cherookee... the forester is a much more reliable car with a better transmission and it´s a subaru. a much better 4x4 than cherookee

but i agree that more gadgets is always welcome

I am thinking of a Cherokee as my next vehicle. It has full-time 4wd with a LO transfer case, heated steering wheel and they now have lifetime warranty for powertrain. So if your tranny or engine goes out it gets replaced for free.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts