Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am not mechanically inclinded whatsoever, however I have a 2012 Forester. The heat shield is rattling. my son suggested I post on the forum. Has anyone experienced this and what should I do to fix it? Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring
42 Posts
Welcome, mposler

Heat shield rattle has been an issue with Subaru for decades. I've owned six Subarus and they all rattled at some point. If you search "heat shield" on this forum you should find numerous threads dealing with it. Short answer is someone needs to get under the car, find which one(s) is/are rattling and secure them by re-welding, using large hose clamps, or a few other creative fixes forum members may have used.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X 5 MT
881 Posts
I've used hose clamps on my '09 Outback with success. If you can't get ones that are long enough to go around the heat shield, you can daisy-chain two or three smaller ones.

Much easier than welding.

·
Registered
2017 Forester CVT
20 Posts
Had the same rattle on my 2010 Forester. Daisy-chained 2 metal hose clamps together, wrapped it around the shield and the exhaust pipe and tightened. No more rattles for the next three years until I sold the car. Good fix for under 5 bucks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts