Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just had a hitch installed on my Forester 2015 and they left out that heat shield that sits above the muffler. Is that normal or should I go back and push them to put it back?

Thank you

·
Registered
122 Posts
What brand of hitch? What type?
You could work backwards and look at the installation instructions for the hitch you had installed to check the install.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a Curt and I installed it in a pro shop specialized in trailers and hitches. They said that in order to put it back they have to cut it on one side since the holes are covered by the hitch now and in time will start rattle. So they said that they never put it back and they never had any complains.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I installed a Draw-tite hitch on my wife's 2016 and you had to remove the heatshield to trim it a little for the hitch hardware to come through the frame and then reinstall it. I didn't trim it but just drilled holes in it where the trimming would have been involved and it reinstalled perfectly and without interfering with the hitch. I think the shop was being lazy. Take a look at the install video below and you can see what they do with the heatshield, the trimming involved and how it goes back in.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you go to the Curt site, you can check the directions for your model hitch and see if the heat shield needs to be trimmed or removed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same. When I have first service done will have it reinstalled. When having side molding put on, I had the dealer take a look at my bumper to see if it was put back correctly. Dealer had to fix bumper. Make sure if you have a third party hitch installer that the dealer makes sure your bumper is put back on correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts