Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some feedback on aircompressorsdirect.com as I want to buy some air hose from them. They sell Legacy Flexzilla Air Hose 3/8" x 50' for $39 which is the lowest I've seen on the net. That's nearly 1/2 the price Northern Tool sells it for.

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
WHOIS look up. From this it looks to be a legit site since '03. aircompressorsdirect.com - Quantcast Audience Profile shows it as having a fair amount of traffic. Looks like the parent company is powerequipmentdirect.com which is also in good standing. Googleing both doesn't come up with any complaints of a scam site for either.

I don't think I would/will hesitate to place an order, Actually you probably just saved me about $30. I was planning on hitting up Northerntool this week to pick up the same air hose. Northerns retractable reels are cheaper for their budget model house brand.

Dot coms left off emails to prevent spamming.

Registrant:
Karen Walsh
Karen Walsh
1203 Remington Blvd.
Romeoville, IL 60446
US
Phone: +1.8007107499
Email: [email protected]

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: Register Domain Names at Register.com - Business Web Hosting Services and Domain Name Registration Provider

Domain Name: aircompressorsdirect.com
Created on..............: 2003-08-22
Expires on..............: 2012-08-22

Administrative Contact:
Power Equipment Direct
Jon Hoch
1203 Remington Blvd.
Romeoville, IL 60446
US
Phone: +1.8007107499

Technical Contact:
Register.Com
Domain Registrar
575 8th Avenue 11th Floor
New York, NY 10018
US
Phone: 1-902-7492701

DNS Servers:
ns.rackspace.com
ns2.rackspace.com

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good hunting ! Glad I could save you some $$. What retractable reel are you going to go with ? Mine's just for general house garage use so I'm debating if I need to spend $150 on a nice retracable or just $50 for a manual roll up which does the same thing.

I have a retractable electrical cable on the garage roof and love it but for air hose it seems to cost 2x as much.

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts
My plan was to pick up this real with PVC hose, replace the PVC hose with the legacy flexzilla and pass the PVC one to the neighbor for a few bucks so he can use it in his wood shop. No sub-zero temperatures in a heated shop.

Reelworks brand $64.99
Reelworks Air Hose Reel with 3/8in. x 50ft. PVC Hose | Air Hoses + Reels | Northern Tool + Equipment

Northern rebrand(reelworks brand) $59.99
Reelworks Air Hose Reel With Hose — 3/8in. x 25ft. Hose, Max. 300 PSI | Air Hoses + Reels | Northern Tool + Equipment

I wanted to see both in person and if the rebrand will accommodate 50' of hose I will go that route to save a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts
I have used the reelworks brand(from Northerntool) before in a motorcycle shop I helped set up. They lasted for the 5yrs I was there being used daily. Mine is also for garage use but it is just clean to plumb 1/2" copper/pvc up to a central spot in the ceiling for the reel and have the hose up out of the way.

Did two garages for the neighbors this summer, now it is time to do mine. They both went with the reelworks 50' hose combo. The hose is already a bit stiff in 30 degree F but I think it would be doable.

·
Premium Member
07 Forester XT
6,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flexibility is my concern as well. While I don't plan on doing much work in the garage over the winter its nice to know the hose won't get stuck when its -30 outside. My garage isn't heated and will drop to just below freezing on the coldest days.

I'll throw this one out there as well: Legacy MFG Levelwind Retractable Hose Reel for Air or Water with 3/8 in. ID x 75 ft. Hose

Its available with the Flexilla hose for $35 premium. Its a hundred bucks more and I'm not convinced its any better other than nice eye candy in a black box.

Legacy MFG Levelwind Retractable Hose Reel for Air or Water with 3/8 in. ID x 75 ft. Hose - L8306

Got any pics of the installs to give me ideas ? I have a double car garage with a standup compressor against the house wall next to the door leading into the house. I have the retracting electrical wire mounted to the roof in between the garage doors. I could probably fit the hose reel up there as well and run a 10ft rubber hose from the compressor.

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts
I don't have any pics but I can snap a couple tonight when they get home. Both are done in 1/2" rigid copper pipe and fittings up the wall and ceiling, with 90 degree drop ear elbows at the implement/junction end with a air line coupler. The pipe is secured to the wall ceiling with copper tube straps.

Tube straps

90 degree drop ear elbow

The one neighbor we took his 60 gallon upright and stuffed the tank in the storage space above his garage(to gain floor space) and hung the compressor unit from the ceiling so it could be maintained with out moving a bunch of storage items.

The other neighbors is just a 30/35 gallon upright on wheels plumbed into hard line up to the hose reel, the compressor just connects with a short 1 or 2 foot hose to the pipe so the compressor is still portable if needed.

Just remember to put a drain at the lowest point of the copper pipe to remove condensation from the line when needed.

Plumbing compressed air properly.

I like the price of the northern reel:icon_wink: I don't care if it is encased or exposed. For $100+ more I will go exposed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts