Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this will eventually turn into a flame thread or something of a political debate but I'm curious about the facts. How does the health care reform bill, in its current state, affect you?

I've been living under a rock and I haven't had time to push through all of the political bashing and whatnot. :< So I figured instead I might as well ask how the health care reform bill is affecting YOU. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
I don't get affected since I don't live there but I can say this.
Your current system is crap.
So a new healthcare reform should be alot better.
I mean atm if you aren't insured and stay in a hospital you would pay your butt off for the hospital stay. right?

·
Super Moderator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
17,902 Posts
Hard to tell. There's so much buried down inside it. Nobody knows what either the House or Senate bill really says (including those who voted on it), let alone how it will end up in the final version.

I'm covered by the Federal Employees Health Benefit Program with some additional benefits through my Army Reserve retirement, and there are rumblings that there are some things in there that could involve these. We shall see.

·
Pleiads' biggest leghumper
04's 2 FXT's.
9,325 Posts
From what I have heard from a few Canadians mouth's is its a lot better than ours & they buy travelers insurance before they head into the USA.

joe r

·
Registered
08 2.5x
462 Posts
I'm really hopping I will finally be able to afford insurance. I use to have it when I had a job. But because They consider my broken back 10 years ago a preexisting condition I cant afford it on my own.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Our healthcare system is just fine, in fact, one of the best in the world. We have NO problems with the treatment, the doctors or the hospitals.....and people from other countries are flown in to have procedures done HERE. What needed to be fixed was the health INSURANCE. Why rebuild the whole damn car when all it had was a flat tire???

(as you can see, I'm disgusted this thing passed) rant over.

·
Registered
2014 CVT
826 Posts
Our healthcare system is just fine, in fact, one of the best in the world. We have NO problems with the treatment, the doctors or the hospitals.....and people from other countries are flown in to have procedures done HERE. What needed to be fixed was the health INSURANCE. Why rebuild the whole damn car when all it had was a flat tire???

+1:mob:

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
I'll stick with what we have now, thanks. I'm self-funded for all of my insurance and prefer that to anything sitting in the current proposals.

If more people would look into buying their own insurance instead of being stuck with employer-based coverage, there would be a completely different discussion taking place. Current tax laws favor the employer buying insurance for you instead of paying you a higher wage to allow you to buy your own policy, so is it any surprise that there are complaints about various aspects of dealings with insurance companies when you're stuck with whatever policy your employer chooses? You're pretty much locked-in to whatever the employer finds for you so your choice is taken out of the picture.

I don't care how much they talk about "choice and competition". It is all a bunch of hooey until the average worker is given the financial ability (through increased salary) to buy whatever policy suits them best instead of swallowing the plan the employer provides. And that will never happen with the current tax laws that favor employer-provided insurance. Current proposals are not going to address this as employers will be penalized for NOT providing insurance, thus firmly locking you and your family into a plan that may not be the best for your situation. "Oh, then the employer will just put us on the public option." Again, no choice.

This is not the fault of the employer or even the insurance companies, at least not directly; Congress has created this situation that removes real choice, through tax policy, and they are the ones who are empowered to fix it. The current bills do NOT do that, not by any stretch of the imagination.

If you want real health care reform, then talk to your Congresspersons about changing the tax code to favor the individuals and families. Until then, we aren't going to see choice, competition, reduced costs, improved care, better insurance company response, or anything else that they're promising.

I can't urge strongly enough that people get involved in this. Find out what a family-funded plan would cost, find out what sort of tax breaks an employer gets and translate that into the tax savings that your own family would have, find out the proposals going through both Houses, find out the flat-out bribes going to individual states to garner the votes of one Senator or Representative here or there (that alone will make you sick enough to need medication). If, after doing the research, you still think that the nation should proceed with this, then at least you've done the homework to make up your own mind.

Start here:

Senate Bill
House Bill (big PDF)

If passed, both versions need to be reconciled to each other and then voted on again once a final version for both Houses is created.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't urge strongly enough that people get involved in this. Find out what a family-funded plan would cost, find out what sort of tax breaks an employer gets and translate that into the tax savings that your own family would have, find out the proposals going through both Houses, find out the flat-out bribes going to individual states to garner the votes of one Senator or Representative here or there (that alone will make you sick enough to need medication). If, after doing the research, you still think that the nation should proceed with this, then at least you've done the homework to make up your own mind.

Start here:

Senate Bill
House Bill (big PDF)

If passed, both versions need to be reconciled to each other and then voted on again once a final version for both Houses is created.
I read that in a news article about an hour ago or so. The fact that some states are getting benefits or such from this bill so their congresswoman/man will vote yes on the bill. That sort of is like bribing in a way, isn't it? And they had to make a couple of amends to satisfy a certain democrat who was against government funding of abortions.

Is this the first time something like that has happened with a bill? Sorry, I never liked my US Government class. =\ :shake:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Sorry, I'll be more specific next time. xD :biggrin:

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,503 Posts
I have an Australian friend who had a "turn" and a near death experience when in California a couple of years ago and he left the hospital with a $60,000 debt.

I wonder if that situation will change with the new arrangements?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
1,545 Posts
What do you mean no? o.o? I thought you did get into a lot of debt depending on the severity of your injury if you didn't have health insurance.
If you are sick/injured you can call an ambulance to come get you and take you to a hospital. The hospital cannot deny you admittance. I have a friend, kinda knucklehead, with no health care plan or insurance and did the above. Had a 40K bill when he left the hospital and settled for a payment of $2500. Plus in FLA there are several illegals in the state, to say the least, and the hospitals have to treat them. I remember a hospital complaining to the state legislature about several illegals and they were willing to pay to have them medically flown back to their country (at an expense of 30K each, I think) to get them out of the hospital and their country would not take them back. The hospital had amassed several million $$ in hospital/doctor fees that they will never see. What do you think that does to health care costs.

I have never been sick or injured in over 20 years. Lucky + I work at keeping myself healthy........4 days of weight training, 2 days of road bike work, 2 days of running, several indoor spinning classes a week. + I will be starting up my 3 days a week of swimming after the new year. My insurance premiums are crazy. Medical insurance coverage/premiums should be based on health conditions. My feeling about this circles around the current obesity epidemic in the US that most certainly has increased costs. Most people don't want to work at staying healthy.......they just want a pill to fix the problem when it arrises. Most people are in severe denial about obesity, especially men, who always say "well I am just a big guy" or "well I just have a bit of a beer belly". Its total BS. I think the health care system needs to work on preventative medicine more!!! Sorry for my rant..........I know it's Christmas day. I hate it when I see these (medical/helath care costs, etc) threads. It gets me going. I need to stay away from them. Hey, that could be my New Years resolution. :icon_idea:

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Is this the first time something like that has happened with a bill? Sorry, I never liked my US Government class. =\ :shake:
Not at all - this kind of crap is thrown into bills all of the time (the source of the term "pork spending" - little bits and pieces of higher spending thrown in to buy particular votes). The significance this time around is the scale of the bill (roughly 1/6 of the economy), the narrow scope of the "bribes", and the direct result of same: $100 million here, $300 million there, or a complete pass on the costs, for only one state out of 50 + DC, of the new Medicaid expansion:

Nelson [Senator from Nebraska] also secured full and permanent federal funding for his state to extend Medicaid eligibility to everyone below 133 percent of the federal poverty level. The bill would require all states to do so, but Nebraska alone would not be required to pay a portion of the additional cost after 2016.
To get his one vote and put the count to needed 60, the legislation was amended for some abortion provisions and so Nebraska does not have to pay what would be its normal state-paid share of the proposed expansion of Medicaid, the ONLY state to receive this break. The rest of the public taxpayers in the US will be paying for that vote, in perpetuity. With any luck, this will be written out of the final bill.

Actually, with any luck common sense will prevail and this thing won't pass after both bills are merged into one. The only way I can see that happening is if the process drags on long enough that the calendar advances close to full campaign season and Congresspersons see the writing on the wall when it comes to reelection. After that I'd rather see the issue approached from the tax side, as I mentioned previously, to put real choice into the hands of each family instead of families being shoehorned into the plan that the company comptroller favors.

Actual public support is tough to gauge since the various poll results are highly dependent on wording of the poll questions and current polls show support and opposition going both ways. This is why I strongly urge people to learn for themselves the costs that they could be paying with self-funded insurance, versus the current decrease in employer-paid salary with corporate tax breaks for premiums, and also to factor in the REAL choice they'd have versus the "do I or don't I?" choice of employer-funded coverage.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
121 Posts
My Canadian mother-in-law, who had serious heart problems, would jump into her car and drive from Canada to New York to get into an American hospital whenever her heart acted up. She lived in the US half the year and Canada the other half. She maintained that she got much better care in the US. For whatever that is worth.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
Medical insurance coverage/premiums should be based on health conditions. My feeling about this circles around the current obesity epidemic in the US that most certainly has increased costs. Most people don't want to work at staying healthy.......they just want a pill to fix the problem when it arrises. Most people are in severe denial about obesity, especially men, who always say "well I am just a big guy" or "well I just have a bit of a beer belly". Its total BS. I think the health care system needs to work on preventative medicine more!!! Sorry for my rant..........I know it's Christmas day. I hate it when I see these (medical/helath care costs, etc) threads. It gets me going. I need to stay away from them. Hey, that could be my New Years resolution. :icon_idea:
First, do not stay away from these threads. What you say makes complete sense; however, the current legislation is taking personal behavior out of the equation. I want people to think about what that would mean if the same structure were to be applied to car insurance: the snot-nosed 16 year-old with a freshly minted license and no experience would have the same rates as the 40 year-old with no citations, risk-be-damned.

Take the cost penalties and personal responsibility out of risky behaviors (smoking, obesity, and others) and think about what we'll get.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.