Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Forester CTV
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a black grease mark on the headliner when I first picked it out. They did get the mark out but ruffed up the headliner while doing it. The gm told me if they replace it there is a good chance it'll rattle. Kinda trying to talk me out of it. Offered $300 credit towards future services. I'm headed back to the dealer now to make them order it. Anyone have one replaced? Any problems? FYI... The forester is a week old with 120 miles on it. This is it after they tried to fix it. Is it horrible? No. But it's a $30,000 new vehicle. The pattern doesn't match now...

Attachments

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
You could just try and take a sweater pilling remover to it (one like this). Probably the most inexpensive fix.

·
Registered
2010 2.5X Limited 4-speed Auto
1,979 Posts
$300 credit towards future services? Nope, they should give you the MSRP cost of the headliner PLUS the labor charge. That said ...

The dealer messed it up; they should eat the cost of replacing it. If the new one makes noises, keep on their case until they fix THAT problem.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Premiu CVT
19 Posts
The GM's an idiot...or a swindler. I've taken out headliners from a lot of different vehicles, they don't rattle when you re-install them.

In the future, don't accept delivery of the vehicle if anything is wrong with it. Once you sign the papers and drive off the lot getting them do do anything is nigh impossible.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CTV
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just left there. They're ordering it. They sub the liners out to an upholstery shop. I told them whoever does it they need to make sure it's factory condition when I get it back. No rattling and everything lines up like it should. When I drove off lot the night I bought it, it was dark. I didn't notice the spot. The next day I did and called them. I'll be a thorn it their asses if it isn't done right. I'll post back after it's done. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'd never want it replaced. I have a mark that I put on my own and I refuse to clean it because of the consequences of cleaning it.

The problem with replacing headliners is all the side panels have to be dislodged then the headliner forced out and back in. Lots of the panels are special airbag detachable panels and may never fit right again after removal the first time.

I'd say headliners are the #1 biggest pain for me as a tech, they are impossible to clean sometimes, they attract finger prints like crazy, and sometimes need to be bent to install properly.

I'd personally take the 300$ and move on, but thats based on my experience. If it truly bothers you leverage them with a call to Subaru America.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CTV
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They called today and said they would order and install it. But.. I had to sign a release on it. Meaning once it's installed it would be excluded from any warranty work from then on. The gm made the guy that sold it to me call and wouldn't talk to me. I came unglued. I told him I was calling the BBB and Subaru. Then the owner of the actually dealership. And that the headliner WILL get installed with nothing signed. He called back and said they would do it. Lesson learned. If I ever buy another new car I'm going over it top to bottom before I leave with it. I can't believe they gave me so much crap about it. There is another Subaru about an hour away which I'll most likely be going to for any warranty work from here out.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Good for you standing your ground. I would file a complaint with SOA detailing the dealer's conduct and statements - and never return to that dealer again. It sounds like they are sleeze balls.

And yes, never drive off the lot before doing a thorough, top to bottom, inside and out inspection. Be sure to include all fluids levels and tire pressure, as well as all operating controls and lights.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CTV
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They installed the headliner today. Here's some pics of it. I'm taking it to the upholstery place that did it Monday. Giving them a shot at popping the liner back underneath the pilers. Then telling the dealership to replace the dome light housings. I can see the pry marks they made when removing them. Subaru said it's the dealers responsibility to fix it ect. They wanted me to call them after it was done and let them know how it turned out. I actually regret buying this vehicle. It it's not right after they try this time I'm going to lose it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
It looks like they tried to do it the lazy way, without removing the pillar trim, and then trying to shove the liner underneath. Most likely because taking the pillar covers off would have required them to replace the clips that attach them to the body (they're very breakable). Sloppy work.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
It looks like they tried to do it the lazy way, without removing the pillar trim, and then trying to shove the liner underneath. Most likely because taking the pillar covers off would have required them to replace the clips that attach them to the body (they're very breakable). Sloppy work.
Based on this, as well as the botched cleaning job in the first place and the obvious lies being told you by the dealer about the replacement, this is one place I would never willingly return to.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
They installed the headliner today. Here's some pics of it. I'm taking it to the upholstery place that did it Monday. Giving them a shot at popping the liner back underneath the pilers. Then telling the dealership to replace the dome light housings. I can see the pry marks they made when removing them. Subaru said it's the dealers responsibility to fix it ect. They wanted me to call them after it was done and let them know how it turned out. I actually regret buying this vehicle. It it's not right after they try this time I'm going to lose it.
It's not any intrinsic fault with the vehicle; it's the crappy dealer.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CTV
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, after 4 drop offs at the dealership it's finally fixed. I had to track down the guy that oversees all the dealerships in this area. He wasn't happy it dragged out this long. They replaced the damaged dome light trim and the liner is tucked under the piller covers like it should be. What a nightmare. Subaru accomplished absolutely nothing for me. Even getting them to return my calls was hard. I expected some sort of support from them I guess. Got the survey in the mail today. Still debating on how I should fill it out.

·
Registered
2010 Scion xB
1,055 Posts
Fill it out in accordance with your experience. Honest reviews is the best way. If they cared about their customer satisfaction, it would have been fixed correctly the first time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.