Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forester 2005

The light from my headlights is not hitting the road. In fact one light is hitting the tops of the trees the other hits directly into cabin of cars that are in-front of me.

The car was involved in a very minor frontal accident and that what probably was the cause.

I tried to look for any sort of adjustment nub that can be turned to change the position of headlight like my other car had , but without success.
The head light sits firmly in and head lamps are in place.

How do I adjust the direction of light?

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
I think the only adjustment you can do is up and down. Sideways they should be correct if not your carframe is bent or something else is bent.

For US models the up and down adjustment is done by a screw on the backside of the headlights.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the only adjustment you can do is up and down. Sideways they should be correct if not your carframe is bent or something else is bent.

For US models the up and down adjustment is done by a screw on the backside of the headlights.
thanks Elmy : the up and down would be fine, but i couldn't locate the screw. 5 people, including the mechanic couldn't locate the screw that would turn the headlights. can you be a little more specific which screw is it?

the Forester is US model 2005 2.5l

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,572 Posts
thanks Elmy : the up and down would be fine, but i couldn't locate the screw. 5 people, including the mechanic couldn't locate the screw that would turn the headlights. can you be a little more specific which screw is it?

the Forester is US model 2005 2.5l
Not really. I don't have a US model. But from what I can gather from my own headlights it should be on the outer corner of the headlight. If you go about right up from the parkinglight socket on the top. Anyone with a US model should be better at this. Besides I I have a old SF anyway.

Edit: I'm at work so I can't go to take pics either.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
this is a pic of a legacy headlight.. ours are very similar. see that extra long phillips head screw at the bottom of the picture (the light is upside down, ignore the one at the top of the picture)? that's the adjustment.

·
Registered
2005 Forester
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
this is a pic of a legacy headlight.. ours are very similar. see that extra long phillips head screw at the bottom of the picture (the light is upside down, ignore the one at the top of the picture)? that's the adjustment.

Here is what mine looks like: there is no long bottom philips screw. If i turn the top one nothing seems to happened (the light doesn't move)

there is also small philiph screws that are difficult to get to.
I can get a small screwdriver and probably try the one on the left side. But the one on the right side is blocked by power steering fluid tank.
here are photos i took with phone camera:
Sorry the forum doesn't let me post photos because i am new _> please copy/paste url to pictures in your browser

keentype.com/pic/temp/light-left.jpg

keentype.com/pic/temp/light-lright.jpg

so which screw is responsible for up/down ?

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts

Here is what mine looks like: there is no long bottom philips screw. If i turn the top one nothing seems to happened (the light doesn't move)

there is also small philiph screws that are difficult to get to.
I can get a small screwdriver and probably try the one on the left side. But the one on the right side is blocked by power steering fluid tank.
here are photos i took with phone camera:
Sorry the forum doesn't let me post photos because i am new _> please copy/paste url to pictures in your browser

keentype.com/pic/temp/light-left.jpg

keentype.com/pic/temp/light-lright.jpg

so which screw is responsible for up/down ?
Its the one you have marked as "doesn't do anything". The light housing could be damaged if its not changing the angle.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
are you sure the screws aren't doing anything or are you just not noticing it? the movement is rather miniscule compared to the amount turned. BUT i can see how funky could be right that the housing could be damaged.. which could be why one is pointed at the trees

1 - 8 of 8 Posts