Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, has anyone this side of the ocean done a head light reseal? I'm finding stuff on the forum from the US, but I'm hoping someone has some tips on: a) the process and b) links to stuff I need to do it!

In trying to cobble together everything so that I can get it done as efficiently as possible as I'll probably try squatting in a neighbours parking area to do it...

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Lockheed

🤔 any wisdom you could share? Have you posted a guide anywhere? I think TMX said to put the headlight in the oven to open it up, just not sure what's best to put it back together again?

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
552 Posts
I'm also going to attempt this soon as my lenses are very cloudy, the write-up I found headlight restoration looked pretty good and didn't seem to need anything other than an oven and plastic polishing kit.

Looks straight-forward, still slightly nervous about putting my headlights in the oven though!

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,148 Posts
@Ianb1234 I have a pack of headlight resealing bead I could send on to you if you're in a hurry. It only works involving an oven, so if @Lockheed has an easier way, I would go his method.

I got my resealing stuff from The Retrofit Source in the US.
These might help:

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@twade76
Hey mate, thanks for the link. It seems to suggest heating it melts the glue, then putting it together and reheating it seems to glue it back together again.. ?? I would have thought it'd be important to put some sealant there rather than rely on old glue 🤔

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@TMX thanks for the video links! I've just been looking online (amazon) and found butyl rubber Butyl round cord, black, 6 mm x 8 m or 8 mm x 6 m, black Butyl round cord, black, 6 mm x 8 m or 8 mm x 6 m, black: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Not that I don't appreciate your offer, just wondering if this stuff is similar as I could get it here by Monday!

...that being said.. I don't have a new ballast yet, or any idea whether I need a new ballast!!

So it might not be as important to get it here so quick...

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,148 Posts
That Amazon link looks very similar to what I have so you're probably best off going with them

Hopefully you can revive your ballast

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks mate. I'll see if Lockheed has a different way within the next 18 hours or so, if not I'll get that ordered and should be here Monday... in all honesty as much as a pain it is, I hope it is the ballast and nothing else... I can't think what I'd hunt for if not!!

·
Registered
04 FSTi Manual
552 Posts
@twade76
Hey mate, thanks for the link. It seems to suggest heating it melts the glue, then putting it together and reheating it seems to glue it back together again.. ?? I would have thought it'd be important to put some sealant there rather than rely on old glue 🤔
Yes, I though the same but it seems from the comments like a few people have done it that way. The plan is to wait for a relatively cheap set to appear on ebay and give it a go when I know that I can replace them if it all goes pear-shaped!

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
1,545 Posts
@Lockheed

🤔 any wisdom you could share? Have you posted a guide anywhere? I think TMX said to put the headlight in the oven to open it up, just not sure what's best to put it back together again?
I used a hot air gun and pried it apart using a couple off blunt chisels then resealed using Soudafalt bitumen butyl sealer its designed to be permanently wet use plenty of it as it can always be wiped off .
on a more safer note I would seriously do this inside and in the warm as old plastic is so brittle in the cold .

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5 STI Manual
273 Posts
I used a hot air gun on mine but luckily a past owner had used bathroom silicone sealant to seal the lens on. Not sure if you have an Pre/post FL but make sure all the clips are undone before you try and pry it apart.

I used the American BB sealant (found on Amazon) and have loads left if you dont fancy buying loads/wanna buy my excess?

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
1,545 Posts
New lenses are available from subaru for the sti and the xt but they come with the black surround which you don't have to use if you have the sti variant I've got a thread on here some where about it, Don helped me out with the part numbers.
Can I find it........ Nope
Note: pre face lift.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
@Lockheed

Thanks mate, appreciate the advice! I'll let you all know how it goes once I get on to it!

Edit: re: the soudafelt, are you talking about the tubes to put in a caulk gun? I suppose if that ever fails it can be heated and it'll turn squidgy again?

Edit2: I just double checked the fuses and can confirm they are still ok......:whistle:

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
1,545 Posts
yes in a caulk gun as I said before use plenty and it wont fail , cut the nozzle so you get a nice thick bead . and wipe off the excess with white spirit , maybe stick the tube on a hot radiator before hand oh and make sure its completely free of the old sealer.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmmm, would the headlights be originally sealed with butyl rubber? Just wondering how easy it will be to remove old sealant and whether the butyl stuff being the same sealant will work with new stuff anyway? 🤔

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
1,545 Posts
Do as you please Ian , I can only tell you what worked for me ,I can only say the product I mentioned is designed to be immersed in water 24/7 .
How easy is it to remove the old stuff ? well its as easy as how hard your willing to work . its really not a difficult job.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts