Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall there being a really good thread on SF.com when it was still up about different products used to repair minor scratches, cloudiness, and general wear on the headlight lenses, anyone know of any good products?

·
Premium Member
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
912 Posts
If the cloudiness is fairly mild, toothpaste and damp cloth works well as a mild abrasive and polish.

A side-benefit is that it leaves your Forester really minty! :D

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Tacoma DCSB Auto
1,928 Posts
novus plastic polish is what ive used and some 5k sand paper

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
I've used Simichrome Polish by Happich with a paper towel then buff, then finish with a cleaning wax. A medium buff wheel on a drill at medium speed works well with the polish as well.

I only used a paper towel on a heavy haze. Otherwise a soft cloth is fine.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
I used the PLASTX by Meguiar's, which is mentioned in the above thread started by Retserof, and I'm quite happy with it....! I took some photos... used PLASTX on the left headlight and left the right one alone for comparison...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
pieboy said:
I used the PLASTX by Meguiar's, which is mentioned in the above thread started by Retserof, and I'm quite happy with it....! I took some photos... used PLASTX on the left headlight and left the right one alone for comparison...
Thanks for the pics!:Banane01:

Did you apply the Plastx by hand or use some power tools?

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
applied it by hand with a paper towel, for lack of something better... then wiped it off with a cotton terry cloth...

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
Awesome, I'm going to have to get me some of that stuff!! :Banane29:

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
pieboy said:
I love this stuff!!!! I've been using it for a while now

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I just bought some Plastx for $3.99. I'll report back on my results.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Plastic X is the best took off all scratches and oxidation , my terry cloth got yellow and black I was amazed how much crap goes into your lense

G

·
Hi,

I found the info in this thread very useful. Thanks a lot.
I've tried it for Fog Lights. Sanded it from 800 to 2000 and then used Meguiar's Plastx. I ’d been applying Plastx with circular applicator for about 5-7 minutes before it almost dried. The surface is much smoother now. I don't feel any roughness by my fingers. One pictures shows left one just cleaned and the right one untouched. It looks very nice now, but
For experiment sake I wiped it out using rubbing alcohol simulating one-two touchless washes and noticed as tiny scratches are coming back. You may see them at second picture. They are barely visible at front. They are noticeable in reflecting light.
I'm just wondering. Are you guys getting similar results? Or should I try another polisher? Should I use some finer sandpaper. I had hard time finding 2000 up here. Didn’t even see anything closer to 5K though. Could anybody in Toronto recommend some store for this stuff other then Wallmart, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Partsource? Only one plastic polisher I've seen is this one. Others are for painted surfaces.
I'm planning do the same with headlights and wondering what will I likely end up with?

Attachments

G

·
I've used the Novus polish with good results, but it's not a permanent fix either. I'm not dealing so much with scratches though, it's the tendency of the plastic lenses on the SVX to yellow with time. Not sure there is a solution to the yellowing.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Just tried some PlastX and I'm impressed. It took care of the yellowing foggy headlight disease. :Banane01:

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
I used PlastX this past weekend. It took off the fogging (mine was not yellow, just white), but it didn't take out the scratches. For those I'd probably have to use sandpaper. I called it good enough and installed Rockblocker lens protectors (after cleaning off the PlastX residue, of course!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts