Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester Sti
244 Posts
Here's the ballast on the bottom of the lamp body, undo these screws and wiggle the ballast out.

and here's the connector that goes from the ballast to the bulb. Just unplug the connector and remove the grounding screw

Dony bother taking the ballast apart, its all potted. What you see down the connector is what you get. Dry it out and try it again, if there is moisture down there it shorts out and wont work.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5 STI Manual
273 Posts
Regarding the difference in colours and ballast, the ballast died on one of mine so replaced it with a 'spare' ballast i had from the previous XT, anyway, replaced dead ballast with 'new' one (the codes matched up) and i can confirm that one light has a slightly different colour to the other whereas before, they was the same. Its not noticeable when driving but when behind something and your stationary.

I also fitted the expensive Phillips bulbs thinking that they would increase road illumination - no such luck and a waste of money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, the passenger headlight low bean has croaked. I tried replacing the bulb and that didn't work, the headlight has condensation in it from time to time, so I assume it/the ballast is poorly.

I took it to Engine Tuner today and they don't deal with HID's. Short of taking a trip to the local Subaru stealers, I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice?
Easy and cheap to check the co-located ballasts by simply switching the ballasts. Worked for me.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've just taken the headlight out this afternoon and the offending light (LHS) ballast has water in the plug etc..

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Is there anything I need to be careful with when ordering ballasts?? I've seen them varying from near £100 to like £40 -ish, all seemingly the same thing..

Edit:
Just bought a new genuine one off eBay. All the right part numbers etc.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
@The Hoff

I didn't try.. 2 reasons, I read your reply incorrectly... you said "don't bother taking it apart" then somehow I skipped everything else until "if there's moisture in it...." etc.. assuming that it'll be dead full stop.

With that in mind, I didn't/don't really have the luxury of time.. already had someone griping at me about parking where I am... (Despite having permission etc...)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts