Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the passenger headlight low bean has croaked. I tried replacing the bulb and that didn't work, the headlight has condensation in it from time to time, so I assume it/the ballast is poorly.

I took it to Engine Tuner today and they don't deal with HID's. Short of taking a trip to the local Subaru stealers, I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice?

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where do you take your car for mots and service's?
At this stage, I don't...

Bought the Foz last year around June time (off the top of my head), has 12 months MOT, will take it to Engine Tuner for Mots and servicing I guess... unfortunately a bit of a disappointing experience with the garage I used with the previous car, so no desire to go back to them..

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,156 Posts
It would appear you have a few options:

Used Headlight assembly complete with ballast from a breakers such as: https://www.foresterspares.co.uk/ or one of the breakers off Scoobynet

Reseal the headlights yourself and replace the ballast with another OE style yourself, such as one of these: (Assuming this is the style and connections you have)

Or go with an aftermarket ballast that is waterproof but might need a bit of wiring work done to match up the connections.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard that if you replace one ballast you can't different colours so you have to do them in pairs? I assume this isn't the case with OEM parts?

Second hand part might be the way to to, only concern is it's longevity... no idea why my headlight started getting condensation... it's rained loads for months and months, but now it dies..

Engine Tuner recommended an auto electrician they use, apparently they deal with trucks etc, but Martin I think it was said to give them a ring anyway. Only issue I can see is them wanting me to expose it all prior to looking at it, what with Subaru making life easy when it comes to bulbs...

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,156 Posts
What do you mean by colours? I've never heard of having to match anything with a new ballast. Perhaps maybe a slightly different load between an old and new ballast on the electrical system but I would expect the difference to be minimal and nothing to be concerned about.

If you google The Retrofit Source in America, they have a ton of videos on YouTube on how to "bake" your headlights open, to do a retrofit, but I would think you could just bake yours open, then remove the old sealant and fit new beading sealant, throw them back in the oven again and they should be moisture sealed then. - If you go this route, they work in Fahrenheit, not Celsius

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hahaha! Well reminded on the Fahrenheit part....

...wondering why my headlight is just a puddle of plastic in the bottom of the oven, and whether I can hide before the wife finds it..

Honeslty no idea about colours, it was just something I read about replacing in pairs.. probably more to do with aftermarket bits. Think I may have read it on this forum somewhere... in the US sub.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Additionally, is there a guide on bumper removal for HID models? I'd imagine all the screws are in the same place, just not sure about the headlight sprayers, or whether I can pull the bumper down enough to access the headlight screws..

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,614 Posts
Honeslty no idea about colours, it was just something I read about replacing in pairs.. probably more to do with aftermarket bits. Think I may have read it on this forum somewhere... in the US sub.
The bulbs generate the colour so change bulbs in pairs - ballasts never heard it before.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My engine builder who has 17 years in F1 with imor which went on to be Mercedes (I think), says there is no guarantee if any of his engine go near engine tuner, also lateral performance say the same thing.
Make what you will of that.
Yeeeeehhhh.... I know you had your own first hand horror too... it's tough because I've heard lots of people raving about them, but then naturally there are the odd terrifying stories here and there.. and it's not small things like "they accidentally drained my washer fluid then charged me to refill it" or that kinda stuff... it's serious stuff.

I've asked on another forum if anyone can recommend people in Devon and a couple said Engine Tuner, and everyone else stayed silent...

·
Registered
2004 Forester STI
359 Posts
This thread got me curious. Is there benefit in changing to brighter bulbs? Is that a thing on cars already equipped with OEM HID lights? If this is a thing where can I find said upgraded or modern bulbs that work with the existing OEM ballasts...?🤔

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
1,558 Posts
Ha ha joking aside I always do a companies house search on people that do major works for me now and one year engine tuner had just £9 in there account so would be able to stump up any how, I believe they have also changed their name recently to Alan Jeffery.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Good idea actually. With regards to the name change, I've no idea, I've regularly been passed their place over the years as it's just off a main road (as I guess you know..), but I can't say I ever took stock of what the name above the door was. Loads of people referred to it as "Alan jeffery", perhaps "go to Alan jeffereys"(?)...

This seems like such a ballache. The best option seems to be a diy option, I just need some dry days and maybe my neighbours to let me pinch their parking spot off the road for a few days. Really seems like a straightforward unplug, plug in new job... but then those 5 minute, 3 hours later jobs always seem to screw me...

Wonder if I'll end up going back to the old garage I used to use at this rate 🙈...he didn't know he pissed me off... but I do..

·
Registered
2006 Cross Sports 2.0T Manual
30 Posts
The bulbs generate the colour so change bulbs in pairs - ballasts never heard it before.
Is it an Mot fail to have different colours? I only replaced one, as they’re £26 each!! .... but they are different colours right enough.

Was also a pain in the arse to change it - very fiddly.

·
Registered
06 2.5XT Manual
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Passenger side is a bit of a fiddle, but much easier. Battery out and you can do it from there.

I say much easier, having only ever done the passenger side, but according to YouTube it looks easier..

·
Registered
2005 Forester Sti
244 Posts
You wont be able to access the ballasts without removing the headlights
You wont be able to remove the headlights without taking off the bumper
Taking off the bumper can be done in 10 mins.

Check my previous threads on HID lights for info and links and how to remove it.

I would advise you remove the bumper and take out the light, unscrew the ballast and check for water sitting in the harness connection at the top of the ballast. If there is water in the light it pools this connector and prevents the bulb from firing up.

If this is dry and it still doesn't want to work then replacing the ballast with another Subaru one is the best best so the wiring is all plug and play. After-market ballasts can have the wiring exiting from other locations meaning that you need to make additional holes in the lamp case to get it fed it - don't do this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts