Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 2.5x
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up some replacement LED side marker and parking bulbs. Looks like I need to remove the entire headlight assembly to swap them out.

Will I need to check the headlights for correct alignment afterward?

Also, is this going to be a pain in my arse removing the assembly?

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,296 Posts
No. You don't have to take it entirely out (as in remove all the plugs), just loosen it, take out the side markers, replace the bulb, and put it back in. Some guys have even done it from the wheel well, but that doesn't sound as easy to me. Grille and headlight surrounds a cinch to take off anyway.

After you take out the screws, just give it a firm pull and it should pop right out. There's a bit of suction going on at the fender side.

·
Registered
2001 S Premium
228 Posts
i thought it was also clipped into the headlight, which can be released by a long screwdriver, you can see the release if you look close enough

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
3,006 Posts
For the record: I've tried to get the headlamp surrounds off twice and gave up since the parts were close to flexing and breaking......the grill is a piece of cake, of course.

What am I doing incorrectly? I can get some of the surround clips to come loose but not all of them. The part seems to be able to slide side to side a bit but will not release.

I'm going to need to do this again when I finally get my repeaters in place this Spring.

Steve

·
Registered
2001 S Premium
228 Posts
ok there are three steps to taking off the SF Headlight:

1: Remove the Grill.

2: Remove the Sidemarker screw and release clip on the back bottom of the headlight housing(do not remove the painted piece below the headlightyet, it comes out with the headlight, and watch the clips that are attached to the fender side of the painted piece attached to the headlight)

3: Remove all four bolts and wire harness holding in the headlight (the fourth bolt is accesable after the side marker is out, you will need a swivel adapter though.

You Can do it just take your time, If i knew about this before i took mine out the first time, it would have only taken 30 mins, instead it took an hour screwing with that painted piece, then i realized:Banane36:

Good Luck

P.S. - Oops your talking about SG's, ignore my comments unless they help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts