Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2002 MY03 XS
136 Posts
I got a set of the Vision Plus I believe, a couple of years ago from my local retailer. They were noticably brighter when I did the changeover. I'd recommend upgrading them, whether with some from your local dealer or a similar set from your local auto parts store.

Keep in mind that you want something suitable for your vehicle, as if you go overboard with them, you run the risk of damaging your wiring or the headlight assembly due to excessive heat.

·
Registered
2007 Forester XT manual
1,503 Posts
The Subaru dealer here (Wippells) fitted the VisionPlus +50% upgrade HB3 12V 60W P20d globes (part no SAS1017HB3) for the high beam for my 07 XT at the 25,000km service and I think the $64 was worth it.

What is strange is that Subaru note that they are not available for HID fitted models or for turbos. Mine is both and so far at 116,000km there has been no problem. So far as I know the high beams on all 07 Forester models is the same and I know that the VisionPlus complement the Xenon low beams better than the standard high beam globes with a whiter, brighter light. However high beam is still not as good as the high beam on my '97 Camry.

·
Registered
MY10 X
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not too sure which globes would be better to get, according to their site they state

Vision Plus:
· Up to 50% extra beam
· Up to 20m extra vision
· Great for country roads

Performance Plus:
· 4000K of white light output
· Ultra-high performance
· Great for city driving

i would love to know what temperature the visionPlus are and also what increase in beam percentage the PerformancePlus give

·
Registered
05 XT Lux
207 Posts
Philips X-treme power is now the latest and greatest short of HIDs
You need to stay with standard-wattage 60/55 bulbs, the best ones on the market right now are Philips Xtreme Power (1895/1150 lumens).
buy in oz for around $80 a pair or ebay from the UK for $35

·
Registered
13 Liberty GT wagon AT
436 Posts
Upgrade - best known.

From what I can gather the Phillips Vision Plus or Narva +50 are the best for max light output for the same wattage as standard.
Remember "whiter" (or usually bluer) is not actually any better as in the Performance Plus version, for range or light output - though it may be just as good as stock, and it may be quite OK for you - if you like it, do it. Just dont expect the bulbs to last as long as stockies. Daniel Stern has some great info on his website:Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

I think the note about being NA for HID/Turbo is that AFAIK the turbo models in the current and previous Forester all had HID headlights - thus no bulb upgrade is availalable or really necessary for the low beam.

The ultimate upgrade for high beams is the Toshiba HIR1 bulb - comes as a9011 base socket and keeps standard wattage. I think our (SG)high beams are HB3/9005 which can fit a 9011 with bit of a trim. This has the reputation for being the best QH bulb on a lumens per watt basis, until the new Phillips (see below)
See: HIR1 (9011) & HIR2 (9012)

You'll notice the new Phillips 3rd gen HIR2 bulb (9012/HB4 base) is the current newest HIR2 development - apparently a further improvrement on the HIR concept. The 9012 MAY fit the 9005/HB3 with a trim too, but I'm not sure.

NASIOC has a good thread (or maybe more) :> The Ultimate Bulb Lighting Thread: All You Ever Need to Know About Bulbs - NASIOC

·
Registered
05 XT Lux
207 Posts
From what I can gather the Phillips Vision Plus or Narva +50 are the best for max light output for the same wattage as standard.

not anymore - see my post above yours. Philips Xtreme power is +80 with standard wattage
http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_en/consumer/carlighting/1_car_lighting/products_for_car/9_xtremepower.php?main=in_en_consumer_lighting&parent=89083467512&id=in_en_car_lighting&lang=en

I think the note about being NA for HID/Turbo is that AFAIK the turbo models in the current and previous Forester all had HID headlights - thus no bulb upgrade is availalable or really necessary for the low beam.
my 05XT runs H4 bulbs. HIDs started in the 06 shape I think

·
Registered
07 XTL auto
18 Posts
'twas a while, and another forester, ago now but the subaru globes were identical to the narva plus +50 s, I had both at different times on the '04 and the codes on the globes were the same - osram manufactured IIRC. They were the same numbers as "silver stars" too which is I think must be the american marketing name.

Of course the ones at the local repco or similar were cheaper than the dealer...

Now I'm doing a bit of thread dredge here, found while searching for HIR or HID for the '07 XT high beams.

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
'twas a while, and another forester, ago now but the subaru globes were identical to the narva plus +50 s, I had both at different times on the '04 and the codes on the globes were the same - osram manufactured IIRC. They were the same numbers as "silver stars" too which is I think must be the american marketing name.

Of course the ones at the local repco or similar were cheaper than the dealer...

Now I'm doing a bit of thread dredge here, found while searching for HIR or HID for the '07 XT high beams.
Theres an osram silver star in europe which is a great bulb. In the us theres the sylvania silverstar which are some of the worst most overpriced bulbs on the market.

My oem bulbs are stamped narva on the base and appear to be similar to the standard narva/osram bulbs (but not the +50's). I'm pretty happy with whatever they are from the factory, although they're starting to lose some brightness after 6 years and 130,000 miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts

yeah I change low beam high beam and fog light HID =) in 6000k

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Forester FXT 5 Speed Manual
229 Posts
maybe i'll grab some VisionPlus at my next service. What globes are in the MY10 foz NA?
I'm also curious as to what globes are in the 2010 diesel? I'm assuming its the same as the NA's as this is not the premium and therefore just has halogens.

Is it the H11 globe as I've been hearing elsewhere? Can't seem to find H11 globes on the philips site?

·
Registered
2009 X
141 Posts
Philips X-treme power is now the latest and greatest short of HIDs
You need to stay with standard-wattage 60/55 bulbs, the best ones on the market right now are Philips Xtreme Power (1895/1150 lumens).
buy in oz for around $80 a pair or ebay from the UK for $35
I totally agree. I tried all the others previously mentioned and actually measured the output with a photographic lightmeter. It didn't reveal the lumens, but it did show comparative results. The Xtremes were the best by far.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts