Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
'03 XS MT PSM
2015 Ford Focus ST
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the holidays, I swapped out my bulbs again because the IPF bulbs didn't seem to be working too well when the headlamps got dirty from winter salt spray.

Pleiad7 posted on the old site that www.powerbulbs.com had good lights. More specifically, the european spec Osram Silverstar bulbs. So, I ordered a set.

Cost was about $28 shipped from teh UK. They also included a set of Philips W5W bulbs which will fit the parking lights and license plate lights.

So far i'm VERY pleased with the Osrams. They're not colored blue like the US version of the Silverstars so I guess they put out more light.

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,251 Posts
I have them too. Very happy so far.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
I just ordered 2 sets last week.
Always good to have spares around.

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
I put a set in mine. I have an 06 so it uses H1 bulbs for low beam. They are brighter. I'm going to install HIR bulbs in the high beams and fogs next.

I also have tried the Philips Vision Plus, which lasted longer for me. Bought both from powerbulbs.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
27 Posts
I just ordered a set of Phillips bulbs for both my XT & my MINI from Powerbulbs. Looking forward to a bit better lighting. Thanks for posting the link mikebike! :)

Chuck

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Just to make sure I understand correctly, I have a 2005 Forester XT, the H4 size bulb is the one that I want? And that is both high and low beam in one bulb?
Thanks

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
correct

·
Registered
2003 Forester
169 Posts
+1 for Osram Silverstars from Daniel Stern lighting. The things are great! Too bad the stock forester headlamp reflector design is so terrible or I wouldn't have to invest in some big 'ol driving lamps.

On seccond thought, the forester with 2 Hella Rallye 3000 driving lamps is going to look badass :twisted:

·
06 X Auto
2006 Auto Auto
976 Posts
2006 Bulbs

High beam headlight 12V-60W 9005 (HB3)
Low Beam 12V-55W H1
Front fog light 12V-55W 9006 (HB4)

Low beam headlight Canada-spec. 2.5XT 12V-35W D2R
Front turn signal light 12V-21W (Amber) 1474
Map light 12V-8W –
Dome light 12V-8W –
Side marker light (Front) 12V-5W 168
Parking light 12V-5W 168
High mount stop light 12V-13W 912
Cargo area light 12V-5W –
Tail/stop light 12V-21/5W 7443
Backup light 12V-16W 921
Rear turn signal light 12V-21W (Amber) 1474
Tail/stop light 12V-21/5W 7443
License plate light 12V-5W 168

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I installed my new Osram Silverstars today. Only did a little driving, but so far they are great, much brighter, especially the low beam. Now I'll just have to wait and see how long they last.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
One more question I forgot to ask, what's the difference between the Osram Silverstar (from the UK) and the Sylvania Silverstar lights you can get in the US?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
The Osrams don't have the blue tint that the US Silverstars have. I've heard that the Sylvania's are overdriven in terms of wattage to make up for the loss of light due to the tinting, and therefore have a shorter lifespan.

·
Registered
MY05 Forester X
64 Posts
changed to osrams a few months ago (bought from powerbulbs also!)

i reckon my headlight protectors lessen the distance claims by scattering the light i think... so i dont get the +50% distance claim

but the lights are definitely a lot whiter and stronger (ie no dark patches like with the stock lights)

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
I've gone through a lot of bulbs (H4) on my old car in search of decent light, (got a lot better when I junked the stock lights for some old fashioned round metal reflector jobs, but thats a different story!) and I have found the best in the UK to be (currently) the Ring "red" 'ultra Xenon', better than the Osrams (which have a reputation for not lasting too well) or Philips equivalents.

The Ring 'reds' (I have no connection with the company etc etc) are claimed 60% brighter than stock halogen 60/55W and a whiter light from using Xenon instead of halogen gas (which I can confirm)....have them in all three cars at the moment!

Simon

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used Osram Silverstar for some time now in several cars. First they came in +30%, then in +50%, here in Norway. I'm very pleased with them, and they make a great differense.
Even in an old car I had that had very bad lights they was great.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT '05 6mt r180 Carbonetics 1.5w lsd
1,094 Posts
The Rookie said:
I have found the best in the UK to be (currently) the Ring "red" 'ultra Xenon', better than the Osrams (which have a reputation for not lasting too well) or Philips equivalents.

The Ring 'reds' (I have no connection with the company etc etc) are claimed 60% brighter than stock halogen 60/55W and a whiter light from using Xenon instead of halogen gas (which I can confirm)....have them in all three cars at the moment!

Simon
Would you be kind enough to post a link of your source. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts